• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fuel Shutoff Revisited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry E

Reaction score
re: original post of 9-30-07

Well folks....it's happened again. Got stuck in the parking lot of Home Depot three weeks ago. Tried the usual things...no luck. So I left the truck in the lot for 2 hours and when I went back...it started right up. Ran great until today when it did it again...refused to start. It's been sitting all day (six hours) so I just went and tried to start it...nada. This time, my wife could not hear the fuel pump. If a fuel pump goes out....can it be a intermittent type thing where it will work, not work, work, not work, etc? I might add, that I tried different keys, the fuel reset button, and everything else everyone suggested above. But did not check for fuel pressure which probably isn't necessary since I don't hear the fuel pump activating. Could the fuses/relays under the hood for the fuel pump and reset possible be the culprit? They check out ok as far as continuity. If it is the PATS module as has been suggested, how do you have it checked out? Has there been a recall on them? Thanks for any suggestions......

UPDATE: just went out to the truck after it sat overnight.....the fuel pump worked and it started right up. :p

I have seen the fuel pump relays be intermitent. When I have had bad pumps, the vehicle ran bad or not at all. Relays are cheap. I would try that.

The next time it happens, try giving the gas tank a thump with a lug wrench. if it starts , it is the fuel pump. Very common for fuel pumps to go when repeatly run low on fuel, always keep at least 1/4 full

Will replace the relay and let you know what happens in about 3 weeks cuz that's usually about when it is due to crap out next. I usually keep the gas tank about half full but will enjoy thumping it when and if it happens after I replace the relay. Thanks for your imput.

Experiences will differ but I have to disagree with you moosehunter. I run the trac to near empty on a regular basis, as I have with every vehicle prior. I have yet to have a fuel pump problem(on any vehicle) and I've had the trac 5+ years now. Theoretically, what you say makes sense, but personally I think it's an old wives tale.

I would lean towards your fuel pump. When a pump is cold it works great. A failing pump will start to fail when it warms up. My experience says that relays either work or they don't work. I guess a relay could be intermitent, but I have never seen one. It either worked or it didn't work.

Tom

Tom, for a fuel pump to be "cold" how long would you speculate that the vehicle must sit before you would call the pump cold? Sometimes the truck has sat for an hour or two and still wouldn't start. Yet at other times, it could be just a matter of a few minutes. I agree with you that the relay either works or does not work. I tried switching out the relay with a neighboring one (same kind) to no avail; sucker still would not start. It's really frustrating. I wonder if the problem would show up on a computer read out.....but then the chances of it playing its start/no start game would be virtually zero if I left it at a repair facility. All the best,

Barry

Barry,

I couldn't tell you. Are you sure it is a fuel problem? If you are positive you can hear the pump when it is running and when it doesn't start no sound, then I would lean towards the fuel pump.

I have never climbed underneith to see if I could access the harness for the pump, so I am only speculating, but you could check the wiring to see if you are getting power. If you are, I would say it is the pump.

Fuel pumps can be very finikey at times and they will work some days and others nothing.

It is very doubtful a shop could figure it out with a computer readout. Sometimes, the simple fix is the hardest to diagnose.

Tom

Latest posts