Fuel Filter Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Own 2001 Sport Trac purchased in November of that year. Personally "trying" to do some up-dating on plugs, filters, etc.. The origional fuel filter (located on frame) takes a dual intake w/single out tube filter. The tubes have a "lip". I am having difficulty removing the old filter. Is there a trick to this. If I succeed on removing it should the new one go on smoothly? Also bought a new PVC. Just exactly where is this located on motor?:wacko:

I could never get the bastard thing off my 2001 its pretty hard and you say alot of cuss words but some people it comes off easy. The guy who did mine at Mr Tire said it was a pita for him also but he got it off.

PVC? Poly Vinyl Chloride? J/K man.

I assume you mean PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) I have no clue where it is.

Go the the parts store and buy the metal Fuel Line release tools. The plastic ones don't work. Once you get the hang of it, it is simple.

Tom

Just did mine this weekend. Get a fuel line remover tool that has a 5/16" and 3/8" ends. It's still a bi*ch. I had to really crank it into my lines to get them to let loose. The ends of the tool go INTO the ends of the lines and you just push them in HARD and it just lets go. Beleive me, it's one of the hardest I've had to replace. Just gotta love the engineers that came up with this setup.;)

I tried changing mine a few months ago. Never again. Had the special tool and everything. Got two of them off but could not get the last SOB. Finally just took it into the shop. I HATE FORD FUEL FILTERS! Be carefull you can damage the fuel line taking it off. Luckily I didn't. Also when I took my filter into the shop it turned out to be the wrong one. Ford apparently made two different size filters for 02 ST's. One fat, one narrow. Mine used the fat one, but of course the one I had purchased online was the narrow one which would not fit. If you need a narrow one, I'm still trying to sell mine. Check the swap and sell section. Oh and did I mention I HATE FORD FUEL FILTERS!

Even my mechanic says Ford's filters suck. Some are a piece of cake while others just don't want to come out at all. And he's changed out hundreds. Very poor design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to grind my filter tool down because the outside diameter was larger than the inside diameter of the fuel line. Other than that, it's a fairly simple job.

Oh yeah, while you're removing the filter, keep your mouth closed! :eek:

Its about that time that I should do mine again and I totally don't look forward to it, but I can't justify it in my head to pay someone else to do what should be such a simple task.

The last and only time I changed it the stuff that came out of the filter looked pretty clean, I waited a litte longer this time so we'll have to see what happens.

Oh and as TomT mentioned, my 02 uses the fat filter as well, but the one I originally ordered by mistake for my model year was the slim one. As the pic shows below, even though it is listed for the 2003 model, it does work with some 2002s.

[Broken External Image]:

My 2001 Job 2 also takes the "fat" filter so it fits quite a bit more than they say. Nothing that is listed at three different parts stores for my 01 fits it at all.:huh:

Once again, my friends here at the website solve a problem. I have been to 4 different part stores to find my fuel filter (2001 Job 1 and 2- bulit late July 2001) but they all had the wrong fuel filter, skinny. My filter is the big fat one as posted above. thanks again guys, my filter is now special ordered through Auto Zone. thanks

Lt Mike

Latest posts