Front Windshield

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth M

Reaction score
I have another question for you all concerning my 02 Sport Trac. Since, it has gotten colder here, the inside front window always ices up, which is a pain in the butt. There are no windows open, and everything is shut tight. Has anyone else ever had this issue, if so, is there a solution for this, so it won't happen again? Please let me know, all replies would be greatly appreciated.

You have moisture in your truck, and at night time when it gets colder condensation forms on the insides of the windows. Here in Ontario this can happen just from the snow collecting on the floor mats or you have a leak in the truck ( check back seat area behind seats for leak around the 3rd brake light )

If you leave your windows open a crack on a sunny day that can help dry out your truck.

If it happens while you drive, could be your heater core going south, you would also smell the sweet smell of coolant if this is the case.

I live in Iowa, and every Ford I've owned - and that's quite a few since I only drive Fords - has fogged up / iced up the inside of the windshield. I'll clear the outside and the inside will be clear until a short time later when it ices up or fogs over, often after I start down the road. Dangerous and aggravating for sure. My STs have had this problem less than any of the other Fords I've owned. The '74, '77, '79 Rancheros, and the '78 F100 were the worst. I don't know of a solution, although recently, I read that a mix of vinegar and water sprayed on the outside of the glass the night before will prevent frost from forming on the outside. Might work on the inside too. It was going to be around zero at the time I read that, so I didn't try it, figuring the solution would freeze on the glass at that temp. The mix was 75% and 25%, but I don't remember which was water and which was vinegar. Rain-X on the inside is supposed to work too, I think.

Aside from the weather - 12" of snow today, 0* tonight, wind chill well below zero tomorrow, and high humidity in the summer - I like living in Iowa. The soil is black here, like it should be, and almost anything will grow here.

OP is in Canada

Thanks for the info guys.

Hey Todd

I seen in the summer water below the back window, but wasn't sure where it was coming from as it wasn't dripping it was just sitting there above the back compartment. Also I do have two types of smells when I have the heater on. Sometimes it's a burning rubber smell, and other times I smell something sweet. I do live in Ontario so would Speedy glass fix the rubber around the brake light and back window? Thanks Coldfox

I'm sure they would fix it, but it is an easy fix, just 2 screws hold the light in place.

I would try a thin layer of clear silicone around the old seal and see if that works. If the bulb has not been changed I would do it as well. As for the smells, I would have your cooling system pressure tested and see if there are any leaks, could be in your heater core that puts heat into your truck.

Keep your defroster ON, A/C ON, and recirculate OFF. Turn the fan speed up to get more airflow into the truck to dry it out. Adjust the temperature as needed with the TEMP control. Open the back window to the first setting.

On sunny days, crack open the windows an inch or so, and let it sit out in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts