Front wheel bearings;

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry G.

Reaction score
It is critical to make sure you get the hub nut TORQUED properly .It will make a difference on how long the new bearing will last . Do you know positively if your torque wrench is accurate ? I could not get mine set right so I took it to a local shop and they did it for me free of charge . They told me they send their wrenches in and have them set every so often .. So I trust they were torqued right. I have a buddy that dont believe in torque , he thinks the impact will do the job . Sorry, not with hub nuts . Have fun and stay away from Ford Dealers for repairs . PS;dont know how check your torque wrench ? Do a search and you will see three different types of torque wrenches . Harbor freight also has a attachment for your socket wrench in digital read out for torqueing ,I think its $35 bucks .

Got my 08 new and been through 9 front wheel bearings. Todd Z and I discussed it and determined that perhaps the dealer was putting them on with an impact wrench. The first 7 were replaced by the dealer on warranty or extended warranty. The last two I had done at a Ford dealer in Florida two years ago, I was away and it was right across the street from the hotel, two years and almost 40k later and they're still holding up so maybe that dealer did them right.

Sounds to me like a mechanic needed wheel bearings. Had that happen to me once on a Nizzan PU with the clutch. Took it in to dealer for the prescribed checkup/maintenance & truck ran & worked just fine. Dealer said I needed a new clutch(under warranty) ha ha. Who was I to dispute that. Happens all the time, I believe.

This thread stuck out to me since I need to install yet another front wheel bearing. This will be either the 4th of 5th time I am doing this. However, the hub nut argument doesn't work in my case because RWDs don't have any up front.

Dan,
Hand tighten the 15mm mounting bolts to proper torque by hand too.... They are like 150.. but go exact... ALSO use moog bearings and they will last...

Thanks for the info Todd, I plan to get the bearings soon and replace them as a pair even though only one side is bad. Will update once the work is complete.