Front sway bar end links

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
After I installed the Rancho Quicklift coil-over shocks on my '07 a few years ago I have broken a couple of sets of front sway bar end links. I have always replaced them with the stock Motorcraft links. My theory is that the stiffer springs on the Ranchos are putting too much extension pressure on the end links. I also suspect that the end links are restricting the ability of the suspension to travel to the point where the Ranchos can't really provide any additional lift even though they are advertised to lift the truck about 1". I have a set of Moog end links ordered but I am thinking they really need to be longer than stock. I should be able to modify the Moogs by replacing the through bolt and spacer sleeve with longer pieces.

Same theory as disconnecting the sway bar end links when going off-road to allow the suspension to have greater travel.

Last edited:
Good info. However, my problem isn't that the bushings are failing. In my case the through bolts are actually snapping off. The entire link on the pass side is completely gone right now. As I said, I think my problem is that the end links are too short for the stiffer springs on the Ranchos. Once I get the driver side link removed I should be able to measure the free space with the tires on the ground which will determine whether or not the stock length is correct. The difference between the Moog and OEM Motorcraft links is that the design of the Motorcrafts with their contoured plastic sleeves makes them more difficult to lengthen, if not impractical to bother with. I'm also hoping the direct replacement Moogs have the larger 7/16" dia through bolts.

Got it. Checking the sway bar for parallel with the suspension loaded should be your first step. Not sure about Gen 2, but the other problem is the front sway bar eyelets are angled down on 2001-05. Factory torque spec is 18-21 ft/lbs. OE end link bolts are Grade 9.8 and 13/32" diameter. Moog K7275 bolt heads are not marked to show grade. I realize you're only lifted 1", but here's a link from EF to show how he made longer end links. IMO, they look kind of hack. Also mixed opinions on what bolt grade to use. "Some" believe a lower grade bolt is better for end links because they are softer and flex more than higher grade.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-gen-custom-anti-sway-bar-links-cheap.194211/

http://www.moogparts.com/pdf/problemsolver/english/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_25471_K7275_En.pdf

Stock 13/32" (Top) vs. Moog 7/16" K7275 (Only 1/32" difference)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Most people custom make with strong all thread to the length needed....

Latest posts