Front Rotors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H K

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your comments.

I purchased new tires from Walmart back in July with the life time rotate and balance.

On the 31st of July I had my local Goodyear auto center do a brake job the front rotors were replaced and new bearings were installed.

Today I take my ST back to Walmart for a rotate and balance. The mechanic comes to me asking about service on the rotors. He explains that it was difficult to remove the front wheels and even more difficult to reinstall them. His claim is that Goodyear installed the wrong rotors. (I had good year yesterday look at the right front hub as grease appeared to be leaking / spinning on to my rim. They said the cup had not been put on properly and that it had not been properly cleaned).

Here is the question:

Is it even possible that the wrong rotor was installed? This does not seem logical as the only other vehcial that shares parts is the Explorer.

FYI: I have a 2004 Sport Trac 2WD.

Any and all input would be appreciate.

If it was the wrong bolt pattern wheels would not fit. Maybe the center hub size is too large, by a few MM. Could trying sanding the hub hole on your wheels. Might just be build up. Making them fit tight on the bearing hub.

:driving:Thank you EddieS'04, The Walmart Mechanic did say it was tight. I am concerned that they may have damanged the studs or wheels. He said that he had to get one lug started and tighten it down a litte to start the others lugs.

His claim is that Goodyear installed the wrong rotors.

Check the part number on your Goodyear invoice to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with swshawaii,

Check the part numbers installed by Goodyear. The rotors either fit or they don't? Wheel bearings and spindle size could be wrong, but that would not make it difficult to remove or install the wheels??? If the Rotors were too large (> 12") the caliper would not fit. If the rotors were too small (< 12") the calipers would probably fit, but you would notice the poor braking power because half the pad would not be making contact with the rotor. Either case would not cause any problem with the mounting or dismounting the wheels?

What did the Walmart guy mean when he said it was a little tight??? Does he mean the lugs may have been stripped....Goodyear may have overtorqued the lugs and stretched them making them difficult to remove?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought rotors for my '02 2wd that have had the hub diameter too large.. I took a file to the wheel opening and dressed it up a little so it would fit. These were EBC dimpled and slotted rotors, and wasn't about to sent it back, only one of the set was too large. It was that they were the wrong rotors, the mfg'r had a quality control issue..