Front end wobble/shake after a bump **WITH UPDATE**

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Olenko

Reaction score
My '02 Trac has developed a steering/front end wobble after hitting a certain type of bump. It's not after ever type of bump though. I feel the front end and the steering shake and wobble. It goes away when I slightly turn the steering wheel. The tires are 2 year old Michelins with about 25000 miles on them. I have not hit any curbs so the rotors or rims are not bent. So I think I can 100% say it is not them. The wobble kind of just started occurring. I did recently replace the sway bar end links but I do believe the wobble was going on before that replacement. I have had various front end parts replaced over the years but not everything fully. The vehicle does have about 154,000 miles on it. Could it be sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rods? Plus, what could it be and what is the fix? Any experiences like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
My experiance has been. Tie rod ends and or shocks causing shake, from bumps. It could be many other components.

If you are not experianced at trouble shooting. Best go to a profesional.

It's not sway bar bushings. I'd bet on tie rods and/or ball joints, possibly wheel bearings. At your mileage your front end is in need of rebuild, IMO. There are lots of DIY videos on YouTube; if those jobs are above your level you'll need to have it done. You'll need an alignment when repairs are completed.

because the shake goes away after you turn the wheel, I suspect ball joints. Not a bad job if you have hefty tools. It cost me $1K at Goodyear.

Find a place that does free front end checks and have it looked at...... Could be bad shocks too

Todd Z

Inner tie rods worn out is where my money is. If so and you do it yourself with rental tolls, will only cost ~$50 for quality parts for both sides.

To test, lift wheel off ground, place hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and push pull in and out side to side to see if there is play, any play, and the inners are gone.

**UPDATE** Just got the Trac back from the shop. Front end needed new outer tie rod ends. Got an alignment too. Steering is very tight now. I'm actually not used to it, almost have to re-learn the feel of the truck now. Total for all parts, alignment, etc was $537.97. I have to mention I am in Canada where parts are generally more expensive. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Glad its fixed.

Todd Z

EddieS'04 8/9/2015 16:32 ET

Tie rod ends and or shocks causing shake, from bumps.

Eddie nails it once again. :banana:

Also very common to get air in the power steering and shudder when the wheels are turned with the engine off.

Latest posts