Front Driveshaft CV joint replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor Smetaniuk

Reaction score
2001 4X4

Had a mechanic replace my transfer case this past winter and he said the front driveshaft CV joint bearings were worn out and it should be replaced. I'm getting an intermittent vibration coming from it now.

Has anyone changed out one of theses on their own? Part #'s, Brand , Cost?

Seems like one would need a band type clamp tool to secure rubber boot or has anyone done it differently?

Is a flat nose plier needed to spread the lock ring on the splined end of the shaft?

Anyone know the cost of replacing it at a Stealership so it gets done the right way with a quality part?

Most people do the whole shaft instead of waiting for the joint on the other end of the shaft from going bad. The whole shaft is fairly cheap on E Bay and less messy to do. :supercool:

I have replaced an entire shaft on my Focus, but a ST job should be similar in nature. The wheel side is held on with the large nut going thru spindle & wheel bearing. The engine side is held in with a 'big clip' basically (not sure of actual name). You will need a slide hammer to get that end loose and you can get a loner from Autozone.

Replace the entire shaft for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the "projects" section on the left of the screen. Then go to "maintenance". There is a project there you can follow to replace your half axle (cv joint).

Lots of vids on you tube for the similar Ford Explorer. I watched a few and did mine in an afternoon with upper and lower balljoints. I dont remember if you can borrow the large center nut socket somewhere, I bought one. :supercool:

@Fred & jaydawg74

That's the 'Driveshaft' from transfer case to the front differential not the 'Drive Axle Shaft' - thanks anyways! I've replaced axle shafts a few times already - piece of cake!

@RedRanger7 & EddieS'04

Hey thanks for that info - much appreciated! Makes sense to get the whole new shaft assembly and that way I have a new U-joint too. This makes replacement a breeze.

Thanks for heads up on ebay as well. Detroit Axle has them for $154.99 w/shipping & 1 yr warranty) vs Auto Parts outlet offering an A1 Cardone for $314.00 + 16.50 shipping & 1 yr warranty). Is that the one you were thinking of or have bought before?

Thanks for clearing that up. I started to type a reply earlier, but then I thought I was thinking of the wrong part. I had an '89 Bronco II. When the front joint on those goes bad, the fix is replacing the driveshaft. The replacement shafts for the BII comes with replaceable U-joints on both ends so you only have to replace the shaft once. I don't know if that's the case, or if that's desirable, for the ST. Replacing the shaft on the BII was easy enough.

Latest posts