Front Door Locks???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 Sport Trac with Door lock and windows.

All of a sudden my Driveside door will not lock. It stays unlocked no matter what.

I am unable to push the lock down inside and using the key won't do anything it feels jammed.

I have taken the door panel off but was unable to find anything wrong.

Any suggestions guys?

Cheers and thanks for the help!

Whit

Have you checked for 12vdc at the switch and lock solenoid connector? If so and that is good. Either the solenoid is bad or linkage could need lubing..

When you say check the 12vdc where is that located in the door? Is it easy to check when the door panel is off?

I have tried lubing everything I could... so I don't think that is the case.

Cheers

Whit

You can pop the portion of armrest off where switches are at. Use avolt meter to check there. If that checks you will have to pull the door panel to check the solenoid to the lock mechanism. If you have no power at the switch. It will most likley a broken wire comming to the door.

I had a similar problem. there is a small spring inside the door latch. That little spring falls out and jams in the lock. I couldn't unlock my door:angry:. If you look in the door latch you can just see it. It is used to take up the slack:wacko: in the door latch linkages.

Same thing used to happen on my passenger side. The bottom of the rubber piece that pokes through the hole was catching something on its way down. So, I used a piece of shrink tubing (normally used for wiring) as an extension or shroud for the bottom half of the rubber tip. Whatever was catching it before isn't doing it now with the extension/shroud. This does not affect the length of the tip; it still recesses flush when locked. You do have to remove the door panel and unscrew the rubber tip, then heat the shrink tubing on it.

Shoulda done this on the driver's side while I had the panels off, cuz it's starting to do the same thing!

So BrianC did you get this fixed? Was it costly?

I am thinking of taking it into Ford and having them look at it.... I am worried they are going to charge me a FORTUNE to fix the thing...

Whit

Hey guys... I am still having this issue with my driver side door...

Thinking of just taking it to Ford... Anyone have a rough idea what it may cost to have this fixed? or should I take it somewhere else to have this looked at?

Whit

Door latch type work can get costly quick.

You will have diagnostic labor and then they will order parts, which,,, they can't get just the single part you need, it will come as an integral part of the latch mechanism for example.

I would say $200 would be an expected bill unless they open it up and find a simple fix.

I suggest getting to to a local shop where they will open it up and then figure out what is actually defective.

If it is the latch mechanism, you will not likely need a new one. You have to have it in your hand and lube the living CRAP out of it and work all the parts using pliers and what not until you get it functioning. Will work for years and years especially if you occasionally lube it even from the outside once you get it working.

It could be a stuck lock solenoid as well, if it is stuck in the up position, it would act as a bind on everything and you would not be able to lock the door. And if stuck down, cant unlock it.

So need to do more digging to get a better answer...