Fog light switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
have any of you hooked up some aftermarket lights to your stock fog light switch, i got a new bezel and am trying to accomplish this but im not gettin it to work. if anyone can help ill fill you in on where i am so far. i've only got a couple wires left but cant get it to work, please help if you can

im looking at the project right now but the way he has his pins on the connector labeled is different from the switch i have

How so? I ask because the design of that switch was used by Ford from 1995-2005.

Or are you talking about the relay? And if so, can you take a photo of the directions or scan the directions and post them? I'm sure with a little noggin power we can figure out what has to go where.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, they are backwards, the one by tom r helps but....wait, ok i see what im doing wrong. im looking at the switch from the front, all these diagrams are from the back. but thats not really my problem

ok here is where i am, i have the (lb/bk) wire connected correctly i believe(PIN 3). I also have pin 4 connected correctly to a ground(bk wire). for the pin 5(rd/bk wire) i tapped into the illumination wire or at least what i think is the illumination wire from my rear window switch, the rd/bk wire on that switch. my trouble i guess is with the tan and orange wire. and also some diagrams have done weird stuff with the grounds

so i am supposed to connect the lb/bk wire to the relay, then connect the rd/bk to some illumination source. then i connect the bk wire to a good ground somewhere. then i take the orange and tan wire and hook it to one of the power leads to my fogs that comes out of the relay, then i ground the fog lights and ground the relay and it should work??

Red/Black (pin 5) goes to another red/black in the dash. The 4WD switch and the rear window switch both have red/black illumination wires.

Orange/White (pin 6) connects to a power wire for the fog lights. The purpose of this is that when the fog lights turn on, the wire draws power, and the little LED light in the fog light switch will turn on to reflect such.

Essentially, use the OEM switch to break the relay ground wire. What I did is connect the relay power wire to an always-on source (specifically, my parking [NOT BLINKER] light power wire so I can turn the PIAAs on when the parking lights are on, and so when I shut down the vehicle, the autolamp feature automatically stops any chance of me forgetting to turn the PIAAs off).

Then, instead of grounding the relay ground anywhere, which would create an always on issue, I ran it through the firewall and to the switch pin 3. As a shortcut, you do NOT need to run switch pin 4 back through the firewall; rather, run a wire from pin 4 to any other ground source behind the dash.

Thus, coming through the firewall should only be two wires--that to pin 6 to illuminate the LED when the lights are on (which taps a power wire going to one of the fog lights), and that to pin 3 to complete the ground circuit (which comes from the relay [well, originally it would come from the relay and possibly to a switch provided by your light manufacturer, but I cut off that switch because I used the OEM switch--and so are you] and ordinarily would be grounded somewhere).

As I said, then, now when you push on the switch, it will complete the ground connection, and will complete the relay circuit. So, the lights will turn on. When you push the switch again, the ground connection will break, and the lights will turn off.

Clay, you are right up to the last part of th relay. The lb/bk controls the negative of the relay this will turn the relay on and off. The bk is your main ground. The or/tn are for the indicator light,they get power from your fog lights while they are on. But then you hook up the other side of your relay to the positive of the battery or a switched power. That is how you get power to your fogs and to your control side of your relay._Ron

Dang this time I was beat by a minute. Good one Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
adam, i was able to get the switch to where the led in it would come on when it was pressed in be i couldnt get the lights to turn on. im wondering if i have a connection problem, i'll give it another try tomorrow. thanks for your help and i hope i get it this time

The LED should not turn on when it is pressed in. Rather, it should turn on when the lights turn on. If your lights are not turning on, the LED should not light because the LED draws power from a power wire leading to an individual light. To what did you wire the LED light pin? And did you tap a power wire not from the relay, but from the lights themselves?