Flush or drain trans

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Lindler

Reaction score
Bought a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac v6 with 45,000 miles. Now at 50,000, I'm doing some catch up and preventative maintenance including transmission fluid. Here's my dilemma - bought truck from CarMax, and they will drain trans and change filter for $150. Ford will power Flush trans but not change filter for $220. Ford said it was not recommended to change filter if using a power flush but will change filter if I want for another 65. Does that sound right? Which option should I choose? I'm getting CarMax to do a differential drain and fill for 83, as well as oil/filter, air, and fuel filter change. Just stumped on whether I should go with Ford dealer for power flush of trans and if so, should I change the trans filter as well.

Thanks for input as always

Both prices are too high to me.

You should be able to get a flush done for about $120-$150 at an independent shop or lube center...Just make sure they use the proper fluid and don't let them sell you some sort of cleaner solvent with the flush...it is not needed !

If you decide on a fluid and filter change, you should be able to get that for less than $100....again, and independent shop or lube center will give you a better price that any new or used car dealer.

Personally, I recommend the flush. I agree with Ford...If you flush the fluid you don't need to change the transmission filter. It should easily last 100K miles and that's when I would advise changing the filter. The transmission filter is not like an engine oil filter. It is more like a strainer to keep larger particles from being recycled back through the transmission...that's why transmission have a magnet in the bottom of the pan, to hold onto the bulk of the metal particles.

...Richard

I flushed at 125,000 miles. No filter change. It fixed a 2nd/3rd gear flair. I should have flushed earlier.

Annual fluid drain, filter change, refill for me. 150,000 with a lot of heavy towing (near max payload) and the transmission doesn't skip a beat. I would not recommend a flush.

I pay a little less than $150 for a flush at the local Gulf station using BG products. Ford dealer wanted $185 last I looked. Technically Gen 2 Tracs don't call for a tranny flush until 150,000 miles but you'll be lucky if the tranny lasts that long if you do. It's the same tranny as the older ones (assuming you have a V6) that called for a flush every 30,000. I've compromised and done mine every 50,000, meaning twice so far. Flushes cost more because you are changing all the fluid and using a lot more. Pan and filter only gets about 1/3 of the fluid. I would get it flushed at the dealer or look for another place that might be a little cheaper.

I would do a filter and pan drop now and a flush later on in life.

Todd Z

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll think I'll go with the filter and pan drop this time and flush with no solvents at 100K. I called CarMax and we are negotiating the price down a little. Thanks as always.