Fire Extinguisher

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad tetzloff

Reaction score
I'm looking to mount a fire extinguisher somewhere in my 2007 ST. Right now I've got two spots:

[Broken External Image]:

Inside the little compartment behind the drivers side 40/60 fold down seat and above the driverside wheel well inside the bed.

[Broken External Image]:

What can ya'll tell me about storing an extinguisher in bed or inside the cabin? What about mounting, how would i do it in both places?

I'm leaning towards the storage compartment inside the truck, but I'm unsure how to mount the bracket in the compartment. (I dont want to accidentally drill through the outside of the cab!!)

Thanks,

Brad

The biggest concern with mounting it inside the storage compartment inside the cab is time. If something happens to where you need the extinguisher, you need to be able to get it as fast as possible, time is key when dealing with fires. You, or someone else, will probably be in a panic and having to whereabouts to fold the seat down, assuming no one or nothing is preventing that from happening, then fumbling with the storage compartment can waste valuable time. Between the two locations, to me, the best is the bed. Less hassle to retrieve it and it is in a openly visible location where with a quick glance anyone knows where it is and could be able to use it.

Of course, the downside to an externally mounted extinguisher is the possibility that it will be used to break into the truck. You've got to weigh the pros and cons of each...easily accessible to anyone? Or difficult to get at in an emergency?

Agreed. Location, location, location.

Also, you can mount the bracket with two sided tape. It can always be cleaned off if you change your mind.

I am a fire fighter. It is not a good idea to install it in the back bed of your truck. The elements of the outdoors like temperature can affect the performance and the charge on your extinguisher. Plus you could also set it off by accident if you put stuff in the back bed. Plus some jackass could mess with it if they see it. It would be best to install in in your cab. Like along the side of the middle front console. Or they make kits to installe it along the front post inside your ST.

i am a firefighter as well and i would agree that behind the seat it not a good place. as the above have mentioned, its all about time...if you have a tonneau cover, it might not be a bad idea to put it back there. yes you can bump it with stuff in the back causing damage/accidental discharge and thats not good. as usaf said weather could mess with it but depending on the extinguisher it may not be that bad. i would agree that it should go in the cab if you are serious about using it in an emergency. i have not seen the inside of an '07, but i'm sure there is a place to fit it inside, without the hassle of moving stuff to get to it

I am going to try mounting my extinguisher horizontally to the middle bar, on the side, of the bed extender. The mounts should work being attached to the bar with stainless steel gear driven clamps (straps) and would be very secure. To access extinguisher, I can pop open either the tailgate or tonneau. The extinguisher doesn't move around, is quickly accessible and out of the way.

Latest posts