feedback request: 07 v8 vs v6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnellmed

Reaction score
I'm somewhat torn at the moment...

order an 07 the way I want it with a v8 and wait for 4-6 weeks

or

settle for a v6 with the options that I want which are pretty much available now

Would those of you with 07's care to detail what you feel are the pros and cons of v6 vs a v8?

Last edited by a moderator:
what are your buying the truck for? towing and speed? then go with a V8. or luxury a luxury sedan with a truck bed that a bit better on gas? go with a v6. i love my V6.

With the six speed tranny that comes with the V8, the mileage is very close between the two. Would like to hear more real world experience to verify that though. One of my reasons for going with the V8 was I would not have the French built 5-speed associated with the V6.

Light towing - jetskis and motorcycle. 1000lb utility trailer every now and then.

Isn't the mpg difference marginal? 2-4 mpg? Can a modded V8 perform as well as a V6 in terms of mpg?

After towing with my modded (Gen 1) V6 and 5-speed, I'd rather have a V8. My next ST (whenever that will be) will be a V8. For the record, I was pulling an 18 ft Fish and Ski from Paris MO to Wichita KS.

I've had my '07 4X4 V6 for 1,000 miles now. I'm showing 18.3 mpg and it's got lots of pep to it. I've put nothing but 87 octane gas in it with no problems. No pings, no rattles, no hesitation (my 6 cylinder Dakota hated regular and insisted on 89 octane). I don't know what the 6 cylnder ST will be like with 50K miles on it but right now I'm not at all sorry I didn't buy the 8 cylinder. I haven't towed anything with it but I didn't buy it for that. If I do tow, I'd probably only tow small trailers, jet skis, etc. I have a 22 foot boat but if I do decide to tow it, I'd only have to tow it across the street from the lake.

I have just about 3K miles on my '07 v8 and it has very good gas milage on the highway but not good on the stop and go street driving of NYC. It definately does not work as hard as the v6 in my '01 did. I hardly have to get on it like I did with the v6. The tranny seems pretty good but the throttle by wire I'm not crazy about.

If all goes well and as planned My 08 will be a v6.....

Todd Z

From what you described for your towing needs a V6 will be just fine unless you just want the additional HP, and additional vehicle cost. It's personal preference considering the light towing that you will be doing. The V6 pulls 5000 lbs comfortably so again, it's your personal preference.

When I bought my 07, they had a v6 and a v8 side by side. I test drove both and I could tell the difference in power between the 2. The mpg for them both were listed as exactly the same. It was a no brainer for me. After driving v8 for the last couple of years, I was not going back to a v6. I treaded my 05 F-150 in for the sport track and the power between the 2 is the same. I love my 2007 V8:wub: . I also was able to get the larger towing package for the 07.

My dad and I both had first generation STs and absolutely loved the power of the V8 of the second generation ST, so I have one and his is on order... I highly recommend it for the cheap cost to get it and little difference in gas milage. You can really feel those ponies under the hood and hear them gallopping too! :D

Have you taken a long trip on an interstate lately? It's like NASCAR except these drivers have no idea how to safely drive and a lot of them just don't care. It can get downright scary out there and having more horses to get you out of a driving "situation" can make all the difference in the world. Plus, it's just dang fun to push this piece of metal around with a V8.