Factory Hard cover lock...AGAIN!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Adkins

Reaction score
Well friends, for the SECOND time I had to take the factory tonneau cover to the dealer for the front lock. Evev though I had the receipt from last time with the part number for the lock mechanism on the paper, I once again had to wait nearly a month because of the wrong part being sent...TWICE.

To add insult to injury even though this cover came with the truck, this is considered an "aftermarket warranty" which is only good for a year since the last repair...so I got soaked for $150 !!!

I never knew about the "aftermarket warranty" Beware everbody, I'm told a leaky sunroof can also fall into this "aftermarket" category even if it came with the truck!:angry:

I think the dealer is playing with you. The cover should fall under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

What exactly is wrong?

Tom

As long as it was installed by the dealer or factory, it should be covered under the full warranty. If you bought it and installed it, then it probably falls under the 12/12 warranty. That's how I've seen most accessories on vehicles I've owned.

hmmmm What is it that is going on exactly with the lock? Does it come apart, Is it loose?

I have taken my locks out and apart and put it all back together twice with no issues.

I'm past the 3/36k. The key would spin free in the lock. Thne warranty covered it the first time, but the repair has a 1 year warranty. The cover was bought and installed thru the dealer.

Since you got it through the dealer and not on the Trac from the factory, that makes sense.

Is that the same cover os the Ford cover or is it something else?

Tom

Tom, it's the same cover that comes from the factory...kinda bums me out cuz I back Ford all the way. I'm a third generation Ford truck guy. At this same dealership, in one year my family bought a 500, an F-150, 2 Escapes, and my Trac...where's the gratitude?...Oh well, it's not like a problematic lock mechanism will make me buy a Ridgeline or Crapalanche next time around :lol:

Lock failures have been uncommon here.

I guess I am not understanding what is wrong with it.

I do not live far from you. If you want, we can get together some time. Just let me know.

Tom

Latest posts