Fabricating a Bumper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
It will probably be a long process and I'm not really in a rush, but here's what I'm starting to work on. I can't find what I want off the shelf, so fabrication is the only real option at this point. I need a bumper with a winch mount, better approach angle, a skid plate, and be tough.

I've looked all over the internet and nobody makes anything to suit my needs for the Sport Trac. I've got the tools, the space, a Westin Sportsman brushguard that I wrecked the bottom of, good place for steel, etc. Time and money are the x factors. I'm set on doing this on a "no way" kind of budget because of an upcoming wedding, saving for a house, etc. If you know me at all (which you don't), I get things done at prices I like, lol.

I'm looking for thoughts, suggestions, criticisms and encouragement. I'll also try to make a project write up for this if anyone is interested and if time permits.

The link below is my starting point. What do y'all think, honestly.

I like it, needs better skid plate though. If you're doing trailin', you need protection up front as well as being able to "slide up onto steeper rocks/hills/etc.. Great foundation and good detialed project design with build photos. Keep us updated. Depending on when I get mine payed off I'm gonna get in touch with chad and get his parts list and any info/tips/etc. on doing the solid axle swap up front.

:banana::driving::haveabeer::supercool:

What thickness would you recommend for the skid plate?

I'm starting at zero knowledge on this type of project. I've never even welded anything but plan to start practicing soon. I'll have knowledgeable and skilled help for the whole project, but do still want to learn something new and be able to call it my own.

I may actually start with the rear bumper as that will be much less complicated. Incorporating the hitch will be the most difficult part and I think I've already got that figured out.

When you get that info from Chad, I may want to get it from you. I definitely won't be doing a SAS until at least next fall/winter at the earliest, but I like to have a very solid idea of what I'm getting into and ballpark price before I rip apart a functioning vehicle. There's information online, but never enough.

Latest posts