Extended Warranty: yes or no

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad M 2

Reaction score
Should I get extended warranty on my 2010 sta?

It will roughly cost me 3600$ for 3yrs/60,000kms.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Yes if you bought it used, No if you got it new.

I figure if I got it new I know how it was taken care of. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Ford ESP - $100 over w/$100 deduct - $1800 from any Ford Dealership willing to deal - Backed by Ford Motor Company A+ rated and $3600 is DOUBLE! Shame on a dealer for making that $$$ on you - If its not a Ford Warranty you are paying for an insurance company that will mandate used parts, send adjuster to make every attempt to make it excessive wear and tear claims against you and demand every reciept is shown - Some dealerships hide the warranty money in off shore accounts and call it reinsurance so they control the pay out and claims - Some state make it impossible for companies to do this because it violates the state laws -

I did buy it used and didnt know much about the warranty stuff. Until i started looking around about this company. its called tricare warranty, which is a third party. ($3800 including tax ) 7yrs/140,000kms (from manufacture date).

I got a price from my local dealer here in canada and she gave me the price of $3000 including tax for 3yrs/60,000kms. Which is a genuine ford warranty "bumper to bumper" coverage.

I would rather go with the ford warranty, but the price is so much.

I want to fix up the exhaust with aftermarket stuff but im worried that if i need warranty work the dealer will try to find every reason to blame it on the aftermarket parts.

so many descisions...

IMO, stay away from 3rd party. To many horror details to type here.

Go with ford only if you are willing to spend the $$.

Warranties are a kind of insurance. On average, they make money for the companies who sell them. Your best statistical bet is to have money set aside for repairs and good maintenance and pay out of pocket. If it worked in your favor, insurance companies wouldn't sell them.

That said, there are times where insurance may be important... when you may not have enough money available to cover emergencies. Like life insurance if you're young and have a dependent family. Or healthcare insurance. Or vehicle insurance, if you can't afford to fix things when they go wrong.

I bought used but didn't purchase an extended warranty because I can afford to have my vehicle repaired if necessary, especially for simple repairs I can do myself. Your mileage may vary.

Total tranny replacement on my extended warranty 3 weeks before it was expiring.

Mine was worth every penny, your mileage may vary.

If you purchase the $3600 plan, that's $100 a month....If you finance the extended warranty, it cost even more in interest.

I would recommend that you put the $100 a month in an interest bearing savings account and at the end of the 3 years, you will have over $3600. If you bought the vehicle new, your standard warranty would be coming to an end when the extended warranty would be needed, and now you have $3600 available for any contingencies that may come up.

If the vehicle did not have any major issues during the factory warranty period, then you are probably not likely to have any serious issues. If you had a lot of issues with the vehicle during the factory warranty, you might look at getting rid of the vehicle ASAP and you will have $3600+ to put down on your next vehicle

If I don't feel comfortable with the quality of any new vehicle I buy, I will look to getting rid of it shortly after the factory warranty expires. Of course, I have owned cars that went through the factory warranty period without incident, but after the warranty expired, they started to have issues.....again, if they were my primary vehicle, I got rid of them as fast as possible.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one extended ford warranty that paid for itself. My '88 t-bird. The next extended warranty I bought was for an '01 escape. I was leary of it being the first year. Never needed it. Luckly I paid cash. I wont buy another.

Even ford wants too much now days. Plus Idont like the Idea that the extended is is tied into the oem warranty mileage. Just wrong.

$3600 for only 3yrs/60000 km is very expensive. I bought my 2010 STA in Dec '12 and I paid $1,370 for a 6yr/60k mile premium care with $100 deduct.

Now whether you will need it is a different story. Before the STA, in 09, I bought a '08 explorer limited with 10k miles and a 6yr/75k prem. care ext warranty with $0 deduct. for $960 After the original factory warranty expired, my dash lights burned, so they replaced the dash and the extended warranty covered it. Then my shift lock went bad on the shifter so that was replaced and ext warranty covered. It had 49k miles before I traded it in for the STA.

When I traded it in, they prorated the warranty and I was refunded $189 which I applied to the warranty for the STA.

If you are going to purchase any warranty, only go with Ford if you want peace of mind in case something happens.

Thanks for the input guys.

I bought my sta used near the end of the original warranty, I will get it for piece of mind only because im not sure what its history is.

Brad - Try calling several Ford dealers in your area and speak to the business manager or Finance manager to get warranty quotes. They have some negotiating room on the prices so try to obtain the best one. Good luck

I got a powertrain only warranty when I bought my Trac off lease, about $1500. I leased it new. Between a new radiator, a front hub and bearing assembly, tranny reflash, and an alternator it's almost paid for itself. Had the same hub and bearing replaced once before on the original warranty.

A friend in NY got the Ford warranty on his 2001 4x4 Trac for about $1400 (4/48K I think). So far they have replace the complete front suspension, rear seal leak, tranny leaks and the timing chains/cassettes. Still has 2+ years and 20K+ miles left on it.Big time score!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Go with the Ford ESP. I got the 6 year/ 100,000 mile warranty from a member on this site who used to work for Ford/L-M. It has helped for most stuff. Others, I've gone to the service manager and played "Let's make a deal". They have been pretty accommodating when I needed them. Definately stay away from those 3rd party offers for "complete coverage". Stick with Ford, you'll be glad you did. Bob