Explorer hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex dougherty

Reaction score
I was at the junk yard today and i saw a 1999 explorer that had just about a new hitch on it if not a couple years old. i got all the bolts off except for one that stripped out. Ill have to go back another day with a grinder to grind it off but i dont even know if its worth my time to go back and cut it off, i dont know if it fits the sport tracs or not, i did some reading earlier and i saw a website that said it would fit but i could find anymore. Any help would be great

thanks

I believe members here have tried it and it didn't work, But you never know with this stuff until you try, But remember its a hitch towing, DONT rig it, be safe if it doesn't work don't do it !

Todd Z

I'd agree with Todd...it's a hitch used to tow or haul some important items. Do it right the first time, even if it means spending a few extra $$$. Besides, hitches are not that expensive for the STs.

It won't fit. You can get a new Sport Trac hitch on ebay for $130-150, which includes shipping, if you're patient or looking at the right time. Regular price for the Curt hitch is in the $180-190 range, but they are on sale on ebay regularly. If you see them at the lower price range, and it's toward the end of the month, don't wait because they might go up on the 1st of the next month. Happened to me on the first one I bought. Wasn't ready to buy in Dec, and the price went way up Jan 1.

Correct part # for a Curt hitch for '01-'05 Sport Tracs is 13407. That's right off the box mine came in.

Gotta love Amazon's free shipping. 35 lbs. hitch only. (Ball mount not included)

Last edited by a moderator:
MOST of the e-bay sellers also ship these hitches for free. They ship straight from the factory warehouses. The sellers that don't ship free often adjust their prices to get the price + shipping = to the free shipper's price.

Latest posts