EXPLORER EXPRESS SUPERCHARGER

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
hey im just curious if anyone has the explorer express supercharger for their trac? How is it? I was lookin into it.. it's 4 grand, but hows the performance add? I'd like to see a trac with a s/c...

thanks

A member here had/has one. He was in a big hurry to get one and got a pre-production model. He blew up an engine at the Trac meet in 2003.

EE spoke highly of the S/C a while back and how it was almost ready and there are a bunch of Rangers and Explorers running them. "Almost" has been a very long time.

EE has not said a thing lately.

Tom

the main ST meet was in louisville but they chaged it to Texas this year. As for smaller meets, members just get together and hang out. I live in Syracuse and have been wanting to get one together........I know a few members from our area, maybe we can do something and just hang out somewhere. Where exactly are you from Andy?

IIRC, he was having problems retarding the timing to avoid detonation. He was running 110 Octane fuel and it was still not retarding enough.

I am not sure if the problem was the S/C, the install, the driver, etc. Everyone pointed thier finger at someone else.

EE has not said a thing about the Supercharger since the last argument happened.

Do a search for posts over a year old or archive or something. There should be alot of information to read.

Tom

im from buffalo-if we got a whole bunch of ppl together from syracuse to buffalo, thatd b sweet

meet halfway= rochester lol

what do u think?

Here's the post before the Louisville meet. The member's alias is Mr. Vain. Search for his name in the archives and you'll come up with some info on it, but other than that, I haven't heard much about the progress.

Caymen, let's be fair to Explorer Express. While the Mr. Vain/Jason Fessel situation was a disaster, it's a small part of the reason EE doesn't promote the Supercharger here. EE is different now that John Vanek left the company. He was the sales/front end part of the business. Dave Vanek is more involved with the R&D end of the business and doesn't take much of a role in coming to sites and promoting products. My last conversation with Dave indicated the Supercharger is debugged and selling, and EE is happy with the reliability. We talked about featuring it here on the site, but Dave was still smarting from the Jason incident (I don't blame him), and opted to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree they had a serious problem, but I've blown up lots of things before. The thread keeps going until they got the engine running again, but there it stops. Is there any more news about that installation? Did the new engine bite the dust too? Or is there still a 300hp Trac out there somewhere?

Rich,

I no way was I putting down EE. As I said earlier, the kit Jason got was a preproduction unit.

A member here had/has one. He was in a big hurry to get one and got a pre-production model. He blew up an engine at the Trac meet in 2003

I then said later...

IIRC, he was having problems retarding the timing to avoid detonation. He was running 110 Octane fuel and it was still not retarding enough.

I am not sure if the problem was the S/C, the install, the driver, etc. Everyone pointed thier finger at someone else.

I know with a pre-production unit, there could be problems.

The engine managment was not tuned properly, he ran the crap out of it. heck, Jason and I raced a little between the family center and the plant/hotel. The thing was very fast.

I was just saying that EE has not said a word about the S/C.

Now I (we) know why.

Tom

who the hell runs 110 lo lead anymore??????????? didnt we all tear the crap out of our cars in the late 80's with that stuff???? Funny, I got a email from Dave last week and I had asked aobut how they handle the cooling with the SC. He said they've never had a problem wtih the cooling while running the sc but didnt mention any OTHER problems either.

ted,

As i said, the problem is that it was a pre-production model. The engine managment was not even complete on it. He was having major problems with detonation, so he tried anything he could do to prevent it.

Tom

I still want to know what happened to that Trac since they seemed to be reinstalling the SC when the post stopped.

I emailed them about the s/c and this is what I got back. I thought about doing it but I think I would rather have a new motorcycle for the money.

"Hi Jeremy,

The 4.0 SOHC X-CHARGER for the SportTrac is available now. We have over 50 units currently on the road.

For more info, go to www.explorerexpress.com > superchargers, then scroll down to the 4.0 section. The SportTrac X-CHARGER is $3999.95.

If you have any questions, please give me a call toll free at 888-EXPLORER (888-397-5673) 10AM to 4PM Pacific, Mon thru Thur."

The kit has been running on 4.0 rangers for close to a year now with no problems. The owners are very happy with the kit, and I have only read one story where performance isn't up to par. That is in the fixing stages and it is believed that there is a leak somewhere. Chances are it was an install error and not an EE error. I spoke to Mr. Vain a while back and though there were issues with the EE kit, there were also issues with his performance shop. I'm not plugging EE, just stating what I have been reading and heard. Any major upgrade such as this has a big potential for problems ranging from the kit to the installer. But for the most part the reviews are extremely positive.