Exhaust questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor Smetaniuk

Reaction score
My 2001 ST 4x4 'original exhaust' system is finally played and buzzing to the point of embarrassment. I also feel as if I have minor loss of power until I punch it and Trac seems to get new life. Fuel filter is new, but I have 120K on a 2nd Ford remanufactured motor and a total of 256K between both engines. My question is; What are your thoughts about my cataclysmic converteroid possibly being clogged and causing my lower end gittyup n' go to be lackluster.

Is there a way the converter can be checked for proper flow? Anybody with a dual exhaust conversion got one with low mileage on a shelf for cheap so I can just change it out with my new exhaust system? Or, What's the difference in the wide range of prices I see for the aftermarket converters?

Some convertors are specific-fit and others, usually the cheaper ones, are universal-fit. Assuming your original cat has 256k on it, it is probably shot although that doesn't necessarily mean it is plugged. The insides of the muffler can rust out and plug the muffler somewhat. Happened on my daughter's Jeep this year. I would just get a universal or Magnaflow hi-flow cat for about $120, a cat-back or custom-bent exhaust with a turbo muffler, and call it good.

Latest posts