exaust advice for the new kid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so i have a guy about 2 hours away i found through craigslist offering me a "flowmaster delta 40 series 2.5 in and dual 2 out with 2 stainless steel 3 inch tips."

i have a 2003 white sport trac xlt with 110k miles

now im new to this and hes offering a pretty good price (under $200) if i pick it up.

my question is, is it worth it? will it make much of a difference? and do you guys think the labor costs for installation will be worth it?

also, any questions i should ask this guy before i drive 2 hours to pick this thing up..we already established that it will fit in my truck since it is cut in half

That Flowmaster Exhaust Muffler sells for about $45-$50 new online. Tips run about that price for the pair. Each pipe exiting the dual 2" exit end of the muffler is probably at least $40. Then you have your intermediate pipe to purchase that eliminates your resonator...that's another $40. Looking at about $210 give or take to have that done with brand new parts at Midas (used my Plattsburgh, NY Midas pricing.)

Labor could be different in your area.

Then you have to factor in gas and your time to get it.

It's not that great a deal anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tips are at the most $50.00 Each NEW and the muffler can be had on ebay for $85 NEW shipped....

Here is a quick link I found..

I think you can get it all NEW cheeper...

Pluss it will be close to $200.00 or more for instalation

I agree with Todd.

After looking at those pics I don't think that's worth $200. Half that price would get me interested but no more.

Plus...Magnaflow rules! :cool:

ok well his price is $120 if i pick it up, he wont go any lower. im going to talk to my mechanic today and see what the price range for installation is. do yall really suggest i just go with a whole new setup? i mean, i dont know much about performance upgrades i just want to make my trac a little more badass without breakin the bank.

I know you can install a brand new system for $200. So it's $120 and two hours of driving time? How much in fuel cost does that burn?

Do you plan on returning the vehicle to stock someday or leaving this new exhaust on it until it rots off?

Is this guys system a full catback or a custom catback system? In other words, did he buy it as a pre-fab bolt in package or did he have it build by a local exhaust shop or himself? Bolt in systems have better residual value but they cost like twice the price of a custom made system and they will net you the same gain.

Honestly, I'd pass.

Check with our site supporter explorerexpress.com. Performancepeddler.com sells the parts dirt cheap. Check with your local Midas for custom pipe (s) cost from muffler back. Show them the pictures you have and ask how much it will cost. Midas is also an authorized Flowmaster dealer. They may cut you a break in labor and they will negotiate pricing of their products but you have to show them the black and white!

Do your homework before you throw away two hours of your life and $120+.

Two hundred. where is everyone getting these prices, only 2 out of 7 shops in around me would look at the trac, one said 450 and the other said about 700. Picked the 450 and it wind up costing me 491. I don't think its cheap but I think its a deal if you can get it installed for 100, thats around 225 total. Not that bad if you ask me.

Thats just me.

CHRIS

Wow, CHRIS where do you live... $700 for exhaust thats crazy, i paid about 240 for mine, all new parts- flow master 40 dual out to the sides. $500 is still really pricey, i hope that they gave you a badass warranty! Fishbowl, i would definetly look for a new set up, or something that is closer to you!

thanks for all the useful advice, hesitant still because of the price and i know a new system would cost upwards of $250. im going to ask about the catback...i mean, i just want more power and better performance and if i can get it for $120 + labor, im all in.

he says he took the system right out of his 04 trac...i dont really plan on selling the sport trac for a long time, if at all. its paid off and my dad still pays insurance, which he will not do if i get a new truck.

You really need to just get up and go to a local muffler shop with the 40 series muffler in mind. Tell them you're price shopping out a custom exhaust setup. Actually ask them what their best deal is on removal of the stock resonator and replacing it with a straight intermediate pipe, installation of a FM40 and dual exit pipes with stainless steel or chrome tips. Chrome rusts and pits pretty damn fast here in upstate NY.

They'll be $200-$250 for a brand new install.

Why would you waste two hours of your time, at least $30 in fuel, $120 on used parts and another $100 for labor on used stuff?

It's not worth the gas to get it.

Order the muffler online and get it super cheap! Go to Midas! They will take care of you!

Maybe he is willing to meet you half way for delivery of the product for $120? If he isn't willing to do that than he doesn't think it's worth it himself!

1st post us the link to the criagslist ad you are looking at

Lets see the thing. My first reaction is NO. not worth the drive for a used set up.

Other than the "dual exhaust" appearance factor, there's not really much gained by installing a dual-outlet muffler for the extra $$$ it costs to run two tailpipes on Trac. There's not really any performance/mpg gain over a single-out exhaust, and the sound isn't much different, as long as you have the right muffler with the single tailpipe.

I have a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 single-outlet exhaust. I had it installed and the resonator removed, and it sounds great. And this install from the cat back only cost me $170. Shortly after it was installed, I was at a stoplight next to a Corvette, and the driver complimented me on the Trac and how it sounded. He asked if I had a V8, because it sounded so good. I just replied "That's the Flowmaster sound."

In my experience, there's no better sounding mufflers than Flowmasters. Had 'em on my 86 Mustang GT, and now the Trac.

My advice would be just to find a shop to install a single-out Flowmaster and remove the resonator. It's the best bang-for-the-buck option. If you want to spruce it up, then spend a little extra on the chrome or stainless steel tip of your choice. Here's a picture of mine:

[Broken External Image]:

very nice trac. the adrenalin has been my dream car for a while lol. did you paint your rims? i was curious how much it would cost me to chrome my rims (if its even possible)

heres the ad to craigslist. I must say i really appreciate all the help..

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/987937301.html

Thanks for the compliments. The chrome rims are OEM. Chrome rims and chrome side steps were part of the Sport Trac Adrenalin package in 2004-2005.

As for ad that you linked, I'd ask the seller for pictures before doing anything. If he sends you any, post them here so we can see what he's selling. Even though he's only asking $140, if you're not doing the install yourself you still have to factor in labor/installation costs on top of the $140.

See how bad he wants to sell it... Offer him $100. He posted this ad almost three weeks ago, so if he really wants to get rid of the system or really needs $$$, he'll negotiate. I'd say that if you can get it for $100, then that would be a good deal if you still have to pay for the installation And if you do it yourself, then $100 would be awesome!:cool:

he said $120 if i pick it up and the pictures are in my library, i dont really know how to upload pictures right to this thread yet im fairly new to this. leme know watcha think though

I'd still offer him $100 cash, but that's just me. I love to haggle for the cheapest price I can get.;) Any idea if he's had other offers, or are you the only one who's interested? I still say offer him $100 and stick to that. If he won't sell it to you for that price, you can still get a good custom exhaust installed for under $200.

As for posting pictures in a thread from your library, just click the folder button below down below the message window, and the choose whatever picture that you want to post by clicking the radio button below the picture.

right on he said he wouldnt go lower than 120 so i told him to meet me halfway. im his only offer and im pretty sure thats the cheapest system i can get, its already custom fit to his sport trac so i dont think labor would be too much other than some welds and mounting. im still hesitant cause this would be the first upgrade ive put on my trac[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]: