Ethanol E-10

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
Our great state of Oregon decided that E10 was the way to go a couple years ago and now all gas stations are required to pump E10. It is ruining lawn mowers and boat motors across the state... For my 2 cycles I put extra oil in to help, or I find the stations that sell unblended as long as I swear I won't put it in my car.....

The real question is... should I be putting some kind of additive in my 07 ST to make sure that the ethanol isn't erroding the seals or anything?

Thanks,

Chris

here in NY we've had 10% ethanol for years, and my trac didn't even blink, except for the lousy mileage.... about 10% worst

Chris- Since April 2006 Hawaii gas stations were required to contain 10% ethanol.

I am fortunate enough to have friends at our local marina that dispense boat gas not containing ethanol.

I take spare gas containers when trailering and filling up my boat, and spare containers to use in my car.

Problem is they are at risk filling multiple cans, and not directly into the boat tank.

The issues boats have using gasoline containg ethanol. Dissolving fiberglass fuel tanks, clogs, leaning out, etc.

One of the biggest risks to the marina operator is not paying applicable road taxes, the highest in the nation at 62 cents per gallon.

Don't know if this is an option to you, and I don't condone it. Just an option. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
E-10 wont hurt anything except mpg. E-85 will cause corrosion if the fuel system is not designed for it.IE flex fuel capable.

Most vehicles made in the last 20 years or more can run a mix up to 10% ethynol. Most gas stations use about 10% ethynol in their Regular gas because it is a cheap way to increase the octane, however most brand name gasoline will not use less ethynol in theire higher octane gasoline.

No harm except that ethynol gets about 25% less gas mileage, so if you have a 10% mixture you will probably get a little less mileage....hardly noticable. If you ran E85, you would see a very big drop in fuel mileage.

...Rich

and in a time of high gasoline prices, can we really afford gas which is actually less efficient than it should be? Corn farmers do not this subsidy.

Gas stations here have stickers which say "We proudly dispense gasoline blended with at least 10% ethanol". They're proud to rip me off?

:smile0016:

I have noticed a drop in gas mileage according to my in dash display (not to mention my wallet). I usually buy Chevron or Shell gas (I stay away from the Arcos and Costco). I heard from one car fanatic that I should be putting some additive in the gas tank every so often to help with the ethanol.

The ethanol is not there to raise octane, but rather to provide an oxygenate to reduce levels of CO in the exhaust, as well as help other emissions... It started here in NY when it was used in the winter to reduce the unburned HC's during winter months, as well as the reasons above... It went by county back then, then the whole state, then year round... Grrr.

I buy gas from one of two stations that don't display the "10% ethanol added" stickers on the pumps. Only gas that's not "watered down" with ethanol are exempt from the sticker rule.

I recently had to do a fuel pump replacement on my 2003 at 50,000 miles

The mechanic indicated that he read somewhere that the replacemnet pumps from Ford had been upgraded to better to tolerate the alcohol in the fuels.

Here in FL it's use is mandated also. It sucks! Period. I use a can of Sea Foam that I split for both my motorcycles and I dump a full can in the Trac about every other month.

Here in FL it's use is mandated also. It sucks! Period. I use a can of Sea Foam that I split for both my motorcycles and I dump a full can in the Trac about every other month.

StTanner,

But ethynol does raise the octane and it is cheaper than the other additives used to make higher octane gasoline. Since many older car's fuel systems that require higher octanes cannot tolerate more than 10% ethynol, the gasoline companies have to use the more expensive additives to boost the octane.

Also, ethynol mixes with water and is used in winter gas to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing in the fuel line.

At the present time there are over 200 different blends of gasoline that are mandated by the Federal, State, County, and City governments. That is what makes it so difficult for gasoline refineries to switch from summer gas to winter gas, and summer to winter gas. Even if the refinery only serves a few nearby states, there can still be dozens of different gasoline formulas mandated my each level of governement. Then we wonder why gas has gotten so expensive?

...Rich

I run E-10 in everything I have. Doesn't hurt anything.

Odds are, your '07 is E-85 compatable, so E-10 is nothing to fear.

Tom

This is why we need to build more refineries. Would I want one in my backyard? Absolutely, I'd be rich from it :D

Why do we really need "winter gas" anyhow? I don't know what the big obsession with Oil Heat is, and from what little I know on the subject, that is the major reason for the switch. It's been so long since I've even used central heating that I've forgotten what it is like lol.

Ethanol is fairly pricey to produce in itself, as well as coming from contested materials (corn), so is it really that much more expensive than other additives? Stupid handout to corn...

Though why is 93 octane gas still so expensive to make? We pumped out loads of 100+ octane fuel back in "the great world war two", and with 60 years since the first mass production of high octane fuel, it should have gotten cheaper. Everything else seems to, why not gas?

:smile0001:

We pumped out loads of 100+ octane fuel back in "the great world war two", and with 60 years since the first mass production of high octane fuel, it should have gotten cheaper.

100 Octane fuel back then was rated differently.

For example, my scooter requires 91 octane fuel (RON). Convert the RON rating to RM/2 method and you get 87 octane.

Tom

How ancient is that scooter? Must still say "Use Unleaded Fuel Only" lol.

hehe, Honda ;)

(Said in the best uncle ruckus voice)

Though the DubyaDubya Two gasoline is quoted as being from 130 to 150 octane according to the back in the day rating system, which hopefully is above our meagre 87 today.

Latest posts