Engine Smoking, what could it be?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi All,

Its been a while since my last post but I still have the old girl (01 4x4, 235k) and I have a mysterious smoking going on in the engine compartment. It appears to be coming from the driver's side, low near the firewall. It is not burnt oil but a plastic type smell. Very toxic but I know its not anti-freeze. I do have a small oil leak (about the size of a half dollar over the course of a month) but I don't think it is that. It seems to run/idle fine but something is burning. Any thoughts on what it might be? Thanks

Have to wash that side down and look, maybe pcv valve fell out and is melting, or a bag is stuck in there, a neighbors cat ???
Really have to look and see on a lift or other access..... Its probably oil or grease burning.... OR some one dropped a tool in there and its melting away.

If I recolect. Some members had problems with the PCV latch in the valve cover breaking, and not allowing the PCV to latch solid into the valve cover. Causing oil leaks.

As everyone has replied, you MUST look. Most common oil leak sources in that area would be a loose PVC valve or a leaking valve cover gasket. IF you have cruise control the faulty brake deactivation switch leaks brake fluid and has caused fires on vehicles when parked. Hopefully it will warm up and you can post your findings. Good luck, we're following.

Latest posts