Engine making some noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kolar

Reaction score
I've noticed like a chirping kinda...sounds like a squeak I opened the hood while it was running and sounds maybe like the belts up in front or the radiator fan???

Remove the belt if necessary and inspect it and all pulleys. Most common causes are the belt

tensioner or idler pulley. Could also be the alternator, water pump, or power steering pump.

I just had the same thing happen to our Trac. The first thing I tried was belt conditioner. No go. A gal I work with suggested rubbing a bar of soap on the belt. Apparently some backwoods mechanic told her that years ago to help with a squeaky belt on her mustang. I'll be danged, it actually worked! I rubbed it on both sides of the belt and not a squeak since. No idea if it'll work for you but it might be worth a try.

Jeff'

I have used the bar soap trick for years. But only to determine if it is belt chirp or pulley.

It never solved the chirp. Only determined if it is the belt or not.

Can I just let the soap rub on the belt while its running bc I don't know how to take it apart and not being the biggest mechanic I don't want to screw it up even more

Dean, you have to do the soap check while running. Just watch your hands. Wear gloves. If the soap bar gets away from you, let it go. Dont try to catch it. Safer to pick it up on the ground.

Latest posts