Emergency brake cable

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Thorne

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their emergency/parking brake cable lately. I have an 05 with rear disc brakes, the cable on the drivers side is ceased and won't move.

Any help appreciated.

Sure it's the cable and not the levers or mechanism frozen? Have you removed rotors to inspect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't actually needed mine in years. I do use it once in a while just to make sure it's still working. Houston is so flat that it's not really needed...until you REALLY need it!

I had the same thing happen on my '03 but I'm in the process of doing a SAS so I just cut them and I'll replace both rear cables later. The passenger side still worked but the driver side was seized up.

well it is the springs and levers that are seized. the parking brake isn't as strong as the foot brakes hydraulics, so the springs and levers of the parking brakes need to be lubed.

Well it ended up being the cable, it was rubbing on the frame in between the two extra rubber protectors. Ontario winters did the rest of the damage.

[Broken External Image]:

It was not that hard of a job but it did take some effort, to pull the brake lever off/open, I had to attach a ratchet strap to the back of the brake cable/lever, and pull it to the open position, other end was attached to the rear shackle. Once that was done, removing the cable was pretty easy and replacement only took a short time after that. Finding the cable actually took some time, after several phone calls to local area parts stores I finally found one, a few places said that it had been discontinued.

FYI if you are adjusting the parking brake through the adjuster hole, turn up to tighten brakes, down to release brakes. :haveabeer:

I found a place mine was rubbing. I split an old piece of hose, put around it, to rub on.. In Houston we dont have rust problems, like up north.

The factory doesnt always protect from rub points. I alway's look around, even under the hood. I find critical rub points. Then I split old hoses for the rub points. I keep my vehicles no less than 10 years. Dont like break downs from simple things. That can be protected.

Latest posts