EGR sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booker T

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced this? My check engine light came on and says I have a bad EGR sensor. Autozone has one for $50 and it looks pretty simple to replace, but I wanted to check and see if anyone else has done this or needed this done.

HUNDREDS have,,,

If you got the code, it is best to post the code first as there are a few items connected to that circuit that are a common failure...

what was the code???????

Post it here before you buy any parts. I believe it is called the DPFE sensor, but they go out almost on clockwork. It is very cheap and eay to replace, but it sets a code for the egr and it is not that.

edit: freakin' coastie beat me to it. :) Get a JOB Kevin!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here is what it says

"Troubleshooting P1400

Definition: DPFE circuit low voltage detected

Explanation: ECM detected the EGR pressure sensor (DPFE) voltage below expected values

Prbable Causes: 1. failed DPFE sendor (EGR pressure sensor) 2. Open or shorted circuit condition"

Does $49 seem right?

From the FAQ's

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Descriptions

P1400 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Detected

Description

The EGR monitor checks the DPF EGR sensor signal to the PCM for low voltage. The test fails when the average voltage to the PCM drops to a voltage less than the minimum calibrated value.

Possible Causes

DPFEGR circuit short to GND

Damaged DPF EGR sensor

VREF short to GND

Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aides

A DPF EGR PID reading less than 0.2 volt with the key ON and engine OFF or running,

Recently discussed here,

sounds like the EGR and DPFE sensors are the same...I'll check a couple places around town, but they seem pretty easy to replace myself. Any thoughts.

Thanks very much...that saved me $20 for the part alone! This sight rocks. Had I just took it in to the shop I would be out at least $150.

Got the part in...seems simple to install, but since so many here have done it before please post a how to. I'd rather not accidently mess something up.

Booker,

How is the family and the little girl. I bet she has gotten big.

Anyways, installing the DPFE sensor is simple. Remove wiring harness, remove vacuum lines, remove the old sensor. Put new sensor on, install vacum lines, hook up wring harness.

Tom

Tom,

Family is great...we now have a 3 year old boy to go with our 5 year old girl. Life is great. Don't get to visit the site as much due to work and family taking up so much time.

I started to pull them off, but they take a lot so I didn't want to damage anything. I guess I just pull hard and they will come.

The trac is starting to get a little old and needs some renewed sense of pride. This is the longest I have ever kept a vehicle (6 years).

Chris