E brake switch wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carter

Reaction score
My nav system requires that I wire the parking brake lock out to the "+" side of the park brake switch. The Trac only has one wire on the park brake and that is the ground for the switch circuit. Anyone know where I can tap the "+" side of the parking brake switch circuit?

Also, the Pioneer AVIC-N1 could be fooled by simply going to ground with that connection, the AVIC-N2 is smarter than that and apparently reads the current drain of the park brake circuit when it is engaged. It also uses the GPS to sense if the vehicle is moving, so grounding the circuit won't work. Please no flames about watching DVD's while driving, I have no interest in that, but I can't get the majority of my nav features to work without this wire.

man im glad to hear about this, i almost bought one. im sure there is a workaround but ill stick with kenwoods that just need to be grounded. good luck!

It works fine if your vehicles wiring has a "+" to the parking brake. Also, DVD's can be viewed in the front seat by patching the back seat video output to the back up camera input.

Also, if you "upgrade" your N1, it receives the same safety provisions as the N2. Also, if the unit detects a workaround for a certain period (7 - 10 days approx) it will shut down and reuire a hard reset, erasing any saved settings, nav routes, etc etc. There are internet rumors of a key sequence for service techs which bypasses the safety lockout and of a software release which will enable all touchscreen nav commands while driving. The vocie control kit also enables all nav functions while driving. It is cool and only costs about $ 50.

According to Pioneer, this safety lockout was a request from the Federal government, so expect to see it on future products from other manufacturers.

Latest posts