Driver Seat Repair

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 Issues.

I have a 2003 ST XLT with leather

1. Lumbar support in the drivers seat doesn't work anymore can it be fixed?

2. Heater in the seat doesn't work is it easy to fix?

Your help is appreciated.

Both require the removal and taking apart of the seat.... thats about 45 to an hour of labor...

once your in there you have to test the parts and check for damage....

BUT it is not un common for the items you list to fail on the ST,.,,,,,,,,

Todd Z

Please excuse me if I am posting this to the wrong forum site.

I am rather new to sport trac forum I do have fairly good mechanic skills, including upholstery, but I am trying to find any posts as to R&R of:
1) lumbar support in seats. The switches work in my 2004 ST EXT PRM 4x4, the pumps so7nd l8ke they are working, but the lumbar bags/pouches do not inflate. Where does one start to troubleshoot repairs for this? And, where can one find replacement lumbar bags?
2) the seat back and bottom foam could really stand to be replaced, are there any good suppliers of new foam replacements?
Are there any safety precautions to take as far as air bags go?

I wish to thank anyone in advance for their knowledge on such matters.

Also, how does one:
1) find the pictures to previous projects that have been posted? Many refer to “photo bucket”, but I am unfamiliar in navigating successfully to such pictures?
2) (Lastly), as a new owner of this 2004 Explorer Sport Trac XLT PRM, w/V6 4.0l SOHC flex fuel 4x4 w/5 spd auto O/D tran, how can I tell/ find out if it is a “1st” or “2nd” GEN vehicle? I did find, once, and “somewhere” a VIN decoder, but it mainly confused me. There is a engine VIN sticker, I am assuming that only refers to the motor, but how can I tell if it is the original motor for my vehicle?

Check parts.ford.com for OEM parts numbers. Also google ford OEM parts for dealership websites that can have different or more complete parts diagrams since they sometimes show discontinued parts too. That’s handy for getting OEM part numbers. Fordpartsgiant.com is especially good for that too. Then search eBay or rearcounter.com for parts using the part number.

Seat cushions for 1st gen (2001-2007) are no longer manufactured or available from Ford. They should swap directly with the passenger side cushions (which usually have less wear) from a junkyard vehicle. Try car-part.com or Pull-a-part if there’s one local to you.

I think we are all out of luck on old photos unless you can find them using the internet wayback machine linked in your other post.

Latest posts