Door Latch Busted with Door Closed!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a really annoying problem. Last night I got home from work and my door would not open from the inside. So, I rolled down the window and tried to open from the outside.... wouldn't work. No matter what I try, I cannot get the door open. I believe it is the latch itself that is broken, the connections to both the inside and outside handle do not work.

So the question... How do I open the door latch with the door closed?

I used a stubby phillips screw driver on the bottom of the door panel and am able to get inside the door, but nothing I try will open the door.

My latest effort was to try and unscrew the door latch striker from inside the door, but the head of the torx screw is too big.

Has anybody every dealt with this before? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks swshawaii,

I saw this video earlier when trying to troubleshoot it. Unfortunately, this method doesn't help. The lateral motion still doesn't release the latch. But with the door closed, and what appears to be one of the springs in the latch broken, I can't get it open.

Thanks for looking swshawaii

Take the trim panel off the opposite door so you can see how the latch operates. See how the lock/unlock and release work at the latch. Hopefully by figuring out the sequence it will release. I've never seen a door latch that couldn't be manually released from the inside.

I used the video posted above and it worked, but i had to use a pair of vise grips clamped to the bar and then a small blow from a hammer to the vise grips before it actually popped free. This was on my back door with little room, but worked. Originally I didnt think it would work because it wouldnt budge when I just used my hands.

Main reason for sticking door latches and lock cylinders is lack of cleaning and lubrication. Also check for the commonly broken spring inside the latch.

Flush out the latches with penetrant followed with white lithium spray and cycle the latch "claws" repeatedly. Have lot's of paper towels or rags handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts