Door handle problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I've got a problem on my driver side front door, where to open the door from the exterior, I have to lift up hard on the right side of the door latch. The inside latch is fine and the door locks work fine. I don't have this issue on my other three doors. Any clue as to what might cause this and how to repair it?

Is the outside handle loose or floppy? Broken handle springs or faulty linkage clips are somewhat common. Unfortunately, the usual diagnosis involves door trim

panel removal. Here's an EF link complete with pics if you can tolerate the pop up ads previously mentioned by Todd Z. BTW, AdBlock is very effective for that site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, it helps. The handle isn't loose or floppy, but I guess no matter what I'll have to rip the door open and take a look.

I had a similar problem recently. My driver's door was hard to open from outside. But a little spray grease on the latch fixed it right up. I was surprised, but glad I tried it before pulling the door apart.

^ Excellent point Dreman. ALWAYS check for door latch binding first, and keep them clean and lubricated. White lithium spray grease seems to be the lube of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened the panel and found nothing wrong. Then a week later the door handle snapped on the side right side, the side I need to lift to get it open. Gave up and went to the dealer. $200 later I got a painted to match door handle and it opens better than a hot knife though butter.

Latest posts