Do you think a "Buy American" clause should be included in the stimulus bill?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Q. A "Buy American" clause in the $900B stimulus package allows, with some exceptions, only U.S.-made materials and goods to be used in projects funded by the bill.

Do you think a "Buy American" clause should be included in the stimulus bill?

Yes. With a few exceptions, all steel, iron, or manufactured goods used in a stimulus-funded project should be made in the U.S.A. 82%

No. There should be no import restrictions placed on such projects. 15%

Not sure/No opinion 3%

34738 votes (Yahoo News)

Last edited by a moderator:
No. We are living in a global economy and if every other country said "Do not buy American Products" we would all be in this crisis for a very long time. As the US goes, so goes the world, and that works the other way around as well.

Look at the facts that the financial crisis in the US snowballed around the world and effected nearly every country, friend or foe. That shows how closely related all of our economies are.

...Rich

I say if it is a car. Buy amereican.JMO

Buy a new ford the Qaulity is as good as toyota. Thats a fact. And ford repair parts are a 1/3 the cost of toy.

I don't believe there is anything we can buy or make that is truly only "American". But, anything American made should be considered first.

Maybe Ford should also be req.to, in the case of the gen1s and maybe some cars they make today, build the engines in America, also the trannys and most of the electrical componants.

That would put alot of Americans back to work.

But than again, who would pay 85K for a trac.

Without a doubt. Any money to stimulate the economy should stimulate the economy for this country, not another country.

Tom

The federal government and many state governments are already required to buy American brand vehicles. If any stimulus money goes to replace vehicles, its going to be GM, Ford, or Chrysler anyway. There was a small exception made by the feds a while back when no American hybrids were available. They were allowed to buy Honda or Toyota hybrids...not sure if this exception is still in effect.

Bill V,

Here's the source:

VOTE: Should 'Buy American' be part of stimulus?

AT&T Yahoo! - A "Buy American" clause in the $900B stimulus package allows, with some exceptions, only U.S.-made materials and goods to be used in projects funded by the bill. What do you think of this requirement?

Don't know if the link will work.

We would spend probably 20% of the billions just trying to find American products. Plus I don't believe the infrastructure exists in the US to provide some of the stuff we would need to build bridges, roads, etc. Do we even have a working steel mill in the US anymore? Just start fixing the stuff. The important thing is that people are being put back to work. Tacking on a bunch of conditions will only delay getting anything accomplished and increase the pain on the US economy.

Imho I think the tax breaks they are considering on new car purchases should have to be an American owned company! that will stimulate the country. if i get 5,000 in tax rebates to buy a foreign car and the profits and manpower go overseas how will that help?

I think "buy American" should be on everyones mind......constantly.

The President of the company I work for thinks its BS. He also thinks the $500K salary cap for fat cats that took bailout money is stupid. Our stock is down 75%. I think Jeff Immelts tenure as as CEO of GE will be over before summer rolls around.

Good riddance!

Just another "feel good" measure within the bailout, that like the 500k cap on CEO salaries will actually DO NOTHING to help, and probably more to HURT.

TJR

Nope. American manufacturers must stay competitive in the world market. "We" are trying to stimulate the whole economy, nit just ours. The other countries of the world are also dumping major $$$ into their economies to do the same and we can't afford to be excluded from supplying the materials and products for them. China and other "emerging" countires need product from companies such as Caterpillar....we don't want to make them uncompetitive.

The only way out of this is for all countires to work toward the same goal.

ss

Caymen said:
Without a doubt. Any money to stimulate the economy should stimulate the economy for this country, not another country.

When it's our tax dollars being spent, I'd say yes.

I'm a fair-trader, not a free-trader.

NelsonOKC said:
Do we even have a working steel mill in the US anymore?

Yes but not many. If Obama and the Leftys get their "carbon footprint" crap passed, there won't be any. Meantime China has to shut down half the country to get the air clean enough for the Olympics. :rolleyes:

Caymen,

Anything that stimulates the American economy will stimulate the rest of the world. If people buy more American cars, many parts are made overseas in Mexico, China, etc, so they will benefit from our increased production and sales.

I would agree that the companies getting money bailout money from the US Government should be American owned with their primary corporate offices in the US. If Toyota or Honda go belly up, that should be the Japanese government's responsibility to bail them out, not the US taxpayers.

...Rich

A "Buy American" clause would be a terrible idea, especially in today's global economy. History shows that this has already been tried in the form of the 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act. The resulting trade war with Europe was a contributing factor to the Great Depression.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

EDITORIAL: How to cause a depression

As part of his early transition into the Oval Office, President Barack Obama would do well to take some time each day reading up on Great Depression history and studying the myriad economic theories surrounding it. It would be instructive, not just for the past but for present circumstances, as he faces a Democrat-controlled 111th Congress that is channeling Republicans of the 81st Congress from 1929.

Tucked within the economic stimulus bill the House passed last week was a clause requiring state and local public works agencies to buy American iron and steel for their reconstruction projects, and the Senate expanded it to all manufactured goods. It was modified slightly on Thursday as Senators had a second thought. If the nation is going to spend $43 billion to $100 billion on infrastructure revitalizing the civil engineering, architecture and construction industries, it sounded reasonable that the spending should also be used as a catalyst for other American products like U.S. Steel's steel, DuPont's plastics, 3M's chemicals and so on. But a brief history lesson will show them the folly of their ways.

In 1929, in an effort to stimulate the American economy after the stock market crashed, Sen. Reed Smoot and Rep. Willis Hawley, both Republicans, used similar logic to create the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, raising tariffs on foreign goods to record levels. President Herbert Hoover signed the bill against the opposition of more than 1,000 economists and numerous business executives. The result was a trade war with Europe, which increased its tariffs on U.S. products. Ultimately, U.S. exports and imports decreased by more than 50 percent in a single year, transforming the recession into the Great Depression (yes, the Mississippi Valley drought of 1930 helped, too). But at least Smoot-Hawley left open the freedom to import, whereas what the leadership of the 111th Congress originally wanted to eliminate imports outright.

Canadian Ambassador Michael Wilson sent a letter to both Senate leaders asking them to "ensure that the legislation does not include elements which restrict trade." They also intimated that the "Buy America" policy could violate obligations set forth by the North American Free Trade Agreement. That was a slight stab at Mr. Obama, who said during his campaign that he wanted to re-negotiate NAFTA. The European Union all but concluded that if the provisions were left in the bill and passed, other countries would follow suit.

The stimulus bill has a way to go before it reaches Mr. Obama's desk, but if strong "buy American" mandates are present at that time, he will have no choice but to veto the bill. Otherwise, he will be forever known as Barack H. (Hoover or Hawley) Obama.

Latest posts