din headunit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
i've found alot of info on putting double din headunits into the ST, and found that the ST has something like a 1.75 din cavity (very helpful ford, thanks). what i haven't found is anyone who has put a single din aftermarket headunit into the 1.75 din cavity.

i'm sure someone must have, we don't all have the money to spend on the alpine z-1. if you did, what did you fill the gap with, how does it look, do you have any pictures? i'm looking at a few single dins and want to know how different the ST will look.

thanks,

Dane

Don't use, or judge a din1 install by the last two posts. Those gap fillers look awful, and they are a waste of space, It's better to center the head unit in the space given. Bad installs devalue a rig so be careful, save the old head unit when you sell , and if you care about the look of your interior have a pro installer do a design drawing for you before you agree to do the install. Otherwise, it will look like the two above.

Thanks for the advice, Recharge. I can see how it looks "awful". Clearly, by all your pictures in your library, you're a professional audio installer (sarcasm). I think it looks fine, and it sounds great, and since it's my truck, that's all that matters. If he's planning on doing it himself, that's how it's gonna look unless he's good with fiberglass and plastic and bondo (which I'm not), and odds are, if he doesn't have the money for the Alpine Z-1 or whatever, he's not gonna get a pro to install his single din unit, in which case, he'll get a set like above, which is what he asked for pics of, and that's how it's gonna look.

$200 for a custom mounted unit, or $17 for the dual/single adapter. I'll take the adapter, and it's worked fine for over 3 years now.

mine too.

hey Jeff, where did you get your adapter? you have a larger cubby hole then I do...

[Broken External Image]:

I have the same deck as Jeff C... until the end of day today.... Getting a new one installed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Recharge meant that as a slam. I took it that he thinks it looks like an add-on with a cheap kit or something.

I'm not real crazy about how the two pics look either. I mean, they are OK, but if I pay $33k for a vehicle and then upgrade the stereo, I'd want it to look at least as nice as the factory look.

Guess that is why the Audiophile / Adrenalin is fine for me. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality to have a nice tight look and not have to pay extra money for additional hassle.

I'm not slamming anyone here--I'm glad you found the adapters, and God knows our trac can use all the extra storage compartments we can get for our trucks.

thanks everyone. i don't dislike how the adapters look, where did you get yours jeffC? i'd like having some extra storage up front since i have the bag console, not the full.

dane

I am going to get a double din and install the scangauge II in the bottom piece (just got back from the installers shop).... I got a preview of my sub box too... should be sweet... for those who dont know Im getting 2 X 8" kicker L7 solobarics installed BEHIND the back seat.

If I remember correctly they dont make the one Jeff C has anymore. When I installed my deck I had it but I wasnt paying attention and broke the tabs so it was crooked. When I went to get a new one they gave me the one Big D has, and they said thats all they get now. I wish I didnt break my first one because the new one's cubby is too small to put anything in.

Boodro

Ahh thanks Dane. I was thinking about it, and I think its best buy that doesnt carry that one anymore, cause that's where I got mine.

Boodro

Dane did you ever decide on anything? I went with the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT. Now I'm anxious for the UPS guy to get here...5 days of torment but shipping was only 4bucks.

Latest posts