differential seal leaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
Great. My differential seal is leaking, I assume, I havn't crawled underneath yet other

than to change oil and from what I am reading on hear it's a pain to change. Rather it's a

pain to get the yoke off so I can change the seal. what kind of force are we talking here

to get the yoke nut loose? Does anyone have a general idea? After that I would assume a

gear or pulley puller would get the yoke off relatively easy.

Changed that seal on my 02. Not a big deal.

Backed up on ramps, then blocked truck.

Removed 4 small bolts to remove driveshaft ujoint

Power handle on large socket to easily remove yoke nut.

Yoke then pulled out easily by hand.

Pried out worn seal.

Used old seal as block when tapping in new seal.

Replaced yoke and tighten nut

Replaced drive shaft u joint.

Took longer getting ready than actually replacing seal.

Check the Break away torque and set it back a couple of pounds tighter.. maybe 2 so the crush sleeve is in the same place.. or your going to end up with axle whine:banana:

Mark the drive shaft yoke to pinion flange. Even if you change the u-joint. If have never had any vibration. It chance you wont by mounting back in the same place.

Same with the pinion flange. mark the spline location.

Some will say not necesary. But It is just what I do. when I know present locations cause no vib's.

Ray,

Why not take a bunch of pictures while doing the work and post a project?

I could sure use the example of a project to follow. My '02 is showing signs of a seepage leak and I was wondering how to do it myself if I could. My leak is not severe but seems persistent. I have 196K miles on the Trac.

Count the number of threads that are sticking out in front of the nut before you loosen it and take it off and then put it back in the same spot when you install it that way you make sure that you don't leave the nut too loose or overtighten it and put to much preload on the pinion bearings.

Thanks all. Just need to find the time with work, school & family. I have done this before on a 94 Chevy 1500 2wd but it seems that alot of things that have to eventually be done are a little more complicated on th ST. Is it just me or do other people think this as well?

btw Uncle Bob, if I find myself with a nice day maybe I will.

Latest posts