Differential Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Quick question. I recently got my 02. It's 4wd. I drained the oil on the rear differential. I took off the cover. I see the normal spider gears but there is a 'S' shape spring thing between them. There is also a thin gear the size of the ring gear with lots of teeth. What does this mean?

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_145608.jpg
    IMG_20181201_145608.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 93
Would that be classified as a limited slip? And can anyone explain what is a Trac Loc?

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_145452.jpg
    IMG_20181201_145452.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 87
That one gear or sprocket looking thing on the left is for your speed sensor and it loops though to the abs system as well

the small toothed gear is for the ABS sensor...... the S spring is part of the trac loc ( fords BS name for limited slip) make sure you put a bottle of LSD additive in.... DONT trust the fluids that say its n there already,,, that's BS....

make sure you put a bottle of LSD additive in.... DONT trust the fluids that say its n there already
Ditto on that. I found out that on my '94 Stang. Used mobil one gear lube. Bottle said, it had the additive, NOT!
I Put in a bottle of motorcraft LSD additive. Problem solved. You may have to find a parking lot, and drive in a figure 8. The additive will work into the LSD clutch pack quicker.

Wow. Oh my gosh. You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. Where on Earth would I be with out this fantastic forum? By the way, I a trying to find the workshop manual in PDF format for free. Does anyone knowany websites that would take me there directly?

Great,,,, Not free that I know of but Ebay sells the DVD often for cheep. ,,,,, But the OEM manuals are not that expensive,..

Latest posts