Dealer fixed my rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Reaction score
Well - maybe there is hope after all. I had a bad rattle in my 2005 ST Premium and I thought I would let everyone know how it got resolved. The dealer ended up having to remove both back seats, they took off the entire back panel and found several bolts loose by the passenger side rear seat compartment. (So much for "Quality is job one at Ford") Oh yeh - they don't use that tagline anymore do they? I have to admit that I was surprised that dealer went through that much trouble to find and fix the problem. They even gave me a loaner vehicle overnight. It is Metro Ford in Eden Prairie, MN. I also had a snapping sound in my front drivers side leather seat. They lubricated the front seat track and that also dissapeared. Geeze - you would think that the front electric seat rails being only 4 weeks old wouldn't need to be greased would you? Go figure.

Now if gas prices would just ease a little - I would be a very happy camper! :lol:

David, same year, same model, same problem, well, looks like I have something to do tonight! hope its the same thing. on the door, look to see if the assy date is 10/04?? just curious:angry:

Teddy: Mine was made in May of 05.

Maybe this will help.

This is exactly what the tech said on my service sheet.

Road tested verified rattle noise from right rear corner. Had to remove the rear seat adn rear trim panels - road tested again and noise was still there. Tightened all bolts for seatbelt assy, rear power slider assy, and all other bolts - road tested again and noise is now gone. Reinstalled everything and road tested again - rattle noise is still gone - I'm done.

I wonder how much this cost Ford? Maybe the guy on the assembly line who didn't tight the bolts in the first place should pay for such things and perhaps the QC would improve? .....NAAAAAAA

I hope this helps you get yours resolved. Have them call Metro Ford in Eden Prairie Minnesota if they want to find out what they did. Sal was the service guy I delt with.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
David, thanks a lot man for puttin that up. Very kind of ya. Gonna do a couple things this weekend when I have time, thats one of them. This does help.

I wonder if the loose bolts on the rear window slider assy might have anything to

do with our rear window troubles? I know I work at Saturn as a Quality Tech,

and often times, we will get Dealer-Feedback updates on warranty work, and we

will have to write a revision to the assembly documents specifying a torque

change to some of the fasteners in a specific area of the vehicle to get rid of

squeak and rattle issues. Low torque can cause parts to bend and flex and add

greater strain on the adjoining assemblies (such as window motors) that these

parts were not designed to handle. As usual the GOOD dealership mechanics are

left to figure out the inadequacies of the engineers that design the vehicle in

the first place. Kind of like us here, on this site!!!

Oh, and by the way, Ford (and G.M. and Chrysler) changed the motto a long time ago

to "Quantity Is Job One" because you now get the rattles and squeaks at the same price as a Ford Employee...!

Funny I have ordered a part from Ford for my SVT Focus. It is the rear interior kick panel on the drivers side. First three that came in were the passengers side. The parts guy is really having a hard time trying to figure out Drivers Side = um left side as in the steering wheel is on the left side of the car.

Thanks,

SST

Last edited by a moderator:
We go through this every day at work. Left and right is as you are seated in the

vehicle, as if you were driving it. Some people I work with still don't get it. I've

looked to see if they have their shoes on the wrong feet!

(You don't want to know the results of that survey!).

Latest posts