Damn Back Window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb Doctors

Reaction score
So I posted a while ago that the back power window would go back down after hitting the top. After a few tries it would stay up and there was no problem putting it in vent mode. Well the other week I go to put it up and it keeps going down. Must have tried a hundred times with no luck this time. Thankfully I had the rear visor and was able to put it in vent. Finally after a week it decided to stay up afte trying. Has been up ever since, but i haven't had a chance yet to get it to the dealer.

Anyone else have this problem? SHould the dealer give me a courtesy car while it is there? They are only open during my working hours and I don't have another vehicle.

I have this problem when it rains mostly i'll put it down to see out the back at night and put it back up after backing in and it usually goes up to about the vent spot and than will just go right down and not go back up...my fix for this when it happens is to get someone to grab a hold of the glass and push up on the top of the glass when im pushing it up and it usually goes back up without a hitch but this method is useless when your by yourself :D as for the courtesy car while its in...most won't my g/f's saturn has been in the shop acouple times for some days and its under warrenty and never got a courtesy car (i had to be the courtesy car) but i guess its all in the warrenty...check it or call the shop and ask.

Check in the channels on the sides of the window for anything that might be blocking it. The ST's window has a safety feature that won't allow it to close if there is an obstruction, and it would cause it to behave much the same way as you're describing.

Yes, Lube the slides on the side with window lubricant..

ALSO if you HOLD the knob in the up position it BYPASSES the safety feature and should roll all the way up...

Hope this helps

Todd Z

I have had the rear window motor replace'ed twice. So 3 including the factor one. Tried everything even what Todd Z said. It is back at dealer, and it might a new motor again. So going on number 4.

And #3 for the tranny. Though I still love my sporttrac

Happens to me every now and then when the window is wet. I never can seem to get the bypass method to work.

Best solution I find is to put it into vent mode and then wiggle the window a bit by hand and then putting it all the way up.

Mine does that sometimes.

When it does, I put it into vent mode, and then twist the knob to close.

Works every time on mine so far...

Latest posts