CT Scan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Just got a CT scan done for the first time ever in my life...

Looked at the bill: $3669.00 :blink::blink::blink:

My out of pocket expense was only $88.00 but still, WTF!!!

Is this normal, cuz for some reason I would tend to think not...

My wife guessed $1200 when I asked her how much a CT scan was, but then she asked if you had contrast or not which is a whole different story. But she's a Navy doctor, so she doesn't bill anyone anything.

You're paying for: (1) you, (2) the under and uninsured (including those who use ERs as their PCPs), and (3) insurance against (2) and normal folks who sue first, ask questions later.

The price you saw is probably the "list" price charged by the hospital. The insurance company pays a contracted, discounted rate that few patients know about.

Have you contacted Hillary about this outrage????

Affordable health care for all is a right afterall!!!!!!!

Being an Radiologic Technologist (X-Ray Tech), that's right on par. There are a few reasons for that. One, it costs the hospital/clinic money to run the machine. CT Scanners pull alot of electicity. Two, the scanner costs alot of money to buy and keep running. A X-Ray tube can cost up to $500,000. Three, if you got contrast injected, the contrast costs a crapload of money. You'd be surprised. It's not a wonder why hospitals have a hard time keeping thier heads above water. Luckily you had Insurance or else you'd be recieving the bill for the total amount.;)

Hey Hawaiian, now that they got your CAT scan done, they are gonna tell you that its "not definative" and you will have to go for an MRI... as it gives a much higher resolution of the tissues and they will be able to make a more accurate diagnosis. WAIT till you see the bill for that!! And of course there will additional laboratory testing, perhaps a minor surgical procedure with a pathology examination, and then more testing. How do you think we make our money in the medical field?? Just kiddin' ya, good luck. (but that is the way it goes);)

Yeah, I'm a healthy young lad whose not used to seeing medical bills. Took my bi-annual work physical and they detected hematuria +2. I was told that this might me normal, but I wanted to look into it just to make sure. This is the single most expensive medical related bill I have ever received. I thought $2700.00 for 21 stitches I needed after a dirt bike accident was a rip off!!!

Yes I did get contrast, and yes, this is just the initial estimate of charges :wacko:

Funny, my 12 year old son just had an MRI done on his elbow today,

We had to pay 500 bucks out of pocket, not sure what the total cost

of the MRI is, but wait till it's free when PrezBO signs socialized medicine

into law.

MRI scan are about double that of a CT scan. Try going for a MRI and a MRA with and without contrast. Now that is some real big buck even with insurance. Plus you're not just paying for that, But the other staff that work for that hospital or clinic. Like myself that work in Facilities Management Services for a hospital we don't bill the customer it comes from a budget. Which you pay somewhere in your bill.:)

i am used to it, that is my life now.

i am very greatful for my health insurance plan, so out of pocket is $25.00 for ct's, mri,s and pet scans.

as mentioned above, the insurance will probably only pay half.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdamCKach is correct. that those with insurance or self-pay are making up for the money the hospitals lose due to non-paying patients.

Since it only cost you $88, your insurance probably paid a lot less than the $3669. Most insurance companies either negotiate contracts with the hospitals to get the lowest rates, but usually only have to pay about half. If you did not have insurance, you would be billed for the total amount and expected to pay it.

I am retired military and I have Tricare Prime Insurance which only cost $260 a year, with a $12.00 copay and the $10K eye surgery I had only cost me $25. I also use their Mail Order Pharmacy which provides generic meds at $3 for a 90 day supply, brand-name meds for $9 for a 90 day supply and shipping is free. Some of the meds I take would cost me over $300 a month if I paid retail prices at the local pharmacies.

...Rich

Uninsured patients are causing all of us to pay fore for insurance.

I can not say I am for or against a single payer system.

The insurance companies are pushing for it more than the people are. When an insurance company feels they have the "right" to deny someone with MS a perscription thier doctor perscribed to them because "it costs too much", is simply crossing the line.

This exact thing is happening to a co-worker of mine.

Tom

Latest posts