Cruise not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam P

Reaction score
Hello anyone have any ideas on this one if i turn on my cruise and hit the set button the icon only flashes for a second and the cruise won't engage.The brake lights work ok and when i step slightly on the brake while trying to set the cruise it won't flash so i assume it's not a brake light switch.It also flashes the set icon in all modes ie set /accel / resume.So not sure to turn too now by the way it is a 2004 sport trac . Thanks

Adam, Our 2004 Freestar did exactly this.. It was the Cruise deactivation switch on the master cylinder. (It was under warranty so the Dealer replaced it) It would work sometimes, other times the light would just flash momentarily when you tried to set it. Dave

might do the same thing if the brake switch mod was not completed..

MEaning they disconnected it for the recall, but havent hooked up the fusible link.

Just a thought..

if i turn on my cruise....the icon only flashes for a second and the cruise won't engage.

Katie Holmes says that she turns on her Cruise by wearing a mini-skirt--and apparently it was enough to get him not only to engage, but to get married. I assume she's also gotten Cruise, who some consider to be an icon, to flash her a time or two... :D

As for Cruise not working, he's currently appearing in "Tropic Thunder"; "Valkyrie" is filming; and he's in pre-production for both "Men" and "The Hardy Men". Sounds like he's working plenty. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was not replaced for any recall, it was just a defective switch.

You should be able to test it by unpluging the switch and either leaving it Open or Jumpering the wires. (I cant remember if that one is a N/O switch or N/C switch so you should check the book unless someone chimes in), but it should be simple to test either way.

Adam, I was having the same problem and after reading a lot of posts it seemed to me that the switch at the end of the master cylinder was the culprit. I went to the dealer and explained which switch I was looking for and he figured out which one I needed. I have a 2003 Sport trac and there are apparently 2 different switches for that model. At any rate I bought the switch and replaced it myself and haven't had any problems with it since. If you decide to do it just remove and replace it no big deal. I hope this helps you.:)

Guys,

I saw on another message regarding the flashing cruise control light. It's often caused by a switch that connects to the master cylinder. I just replaced the part on my 2004 Sport Trac and it fixed the cruise problem. The part number is 3L3Z-9F924-AB. The part cost me about $10.00 plus shipping.

I used a 22MM deep socket and it took about 5 minutes to replace. Easy, easy, easy!

I've loaded pictures to my folder. Hope you can see them.

Doug in NC[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts