Cruise Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Crelin

Reaction score
I have an 03 Sport Trac and when I turn on the cruise control and then go to hit the set button the light on the dash flashes and the control will not engage. Has anyone had this happen and is there a fix for it. Please E Mail me at [email protected] and let me know.

Thanks

Try setting the tilt in a different setting. If it works the harness in the column is coming apart. Or it has already broken a wire. Then the tilt wont do any good. The trac has an infamous problem with the harness being to short. Also check the switch at the end of the master cylinder. If it is the red one. It has a recall for leaking and causing fires. It may be bad anyway. It is the trip for when you aplly the brakes.

Crap. Mine has started doing this too. 2003 model as well. It happened once, then worked again after a shut down and restart. It worked for a while whenever I needed it, then it did it again a few weeks later. I tried to use it and it didn't work, but didn't shut down that time. I haven't used it since then, but mostly because Houston traffic is getting so bad I don't have a chance to anymore! I'll try the tilt bit and see if that helps. On mine, the shut-off switch on the master cylinder is the good one, so it's not included in the recall.

I checked it out and it's not red. I will try changing the tilt position and see if that helps. If not, I wonder if anyone knows which to replace. The button on the steering wheel or the switch by the master cylinder? Wouldn't the switch by the master cylinder be for canceling the cruise when you hit the brake? This problem is when you are trying to set the cruise on the speed you want. It's coming on, it just won"t engage. That tells me the power is there, but it just won't set the speed. Is there a seperate switch for that?

If the cruise light just flashes momentarily when you hit "set" on the wheel then the switch on the wheel is working. I had this exact same symptom in our 04 Freestar, and it was the switch on the master cylinder that caused it.

Do you have a meter to test the switch?

I beleive it should read as a Normally Closed circuit.

I tried different positions on the tilt and nothing changed. The cruise light up on the dashboard just blinks and still does not engage. I tried setting it at different speeds as well. Just won't engage. Thanks Dave but I don't have a meter to check it. Do you remember how much the switch costs? I'm sure the freestar is different but it should give me an idea on the costs. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Mike

Mike,

The switch on the Freestar was replaced under warranty, so I dont know the cost, however I did test it with a meter and it was bad. If you dont have a meter, you can get one really cheap. (Harbor Freight has them for about $3.00) You might also go by Auto Zone, or another parts store to see if they will test the switch for you on the vehicle. Perhaps another member can offer to meet you somewhere and ohm the switch out?

As a last resort, and I almost hesetate to post this because of the safety issue, You could jumper the switch to test the cruise, but you would need to be EXTREMELY careful... If you unplug the harness from the switch, and jumper the 2 wires going to the switch, it will bypass the switch. WARNING: If you do this, the cruise WILL NOT disengage when the brake pedal is depressed. You would need to push the OFF switch on the steering wheel to turn off the cruise. If you decide to try this, drive to a remote area, install the jumper wire, make sure there is no other traffic around, and test it at a "Slow as possible" speed. Once you find out if the cruise works, push OFF, stop, and remove the jumper. Do not drive it to or from your test location like this. You might accidentally push the on & set sitches.

Dave

Thanks Dave. But I'm not that brave. Sent an E Mail to Todd Z but haven't gotten any response. Money being tight I think I'll ask the guy down the street and see if he'll help. I look at it this way. Like you said the button to turn it on, on the steering wheel works because the system comes on. It won't set the speed so by matter of elimination it must be the switch on the master cylinder. I mean these are the only 2 working parts for the cruise anyway right? One thing I did think of is, since I live near the jersey shore, maybe I need to clean the terminals on the switch by the master cylinder. They could be oxidized from the salt air. I will try this and the guy down the street and see what happens. Will let you know and thank you for your suggestions.

Mike, what Dave suggests to do as a test is a good suggestion.

You can jump it very easily and test it on the freeway where you are nice and safe.

It will not increase in speed or take off or anything like that, it simply won't turn off when you tap the brake.

It is a good test to help isolate out the issue.

Guys,

I saw on another message regarding the flashing cruise control light. It's often caused by a switch that connects to the master cylinder. I just replaced the part on my 2004 Sport Trac and it fixed the cruise problem. The part number is 3L3Z-9F924-AB. The part cost me about $10.00 plus shipping.

I used a 22MM deep socket and it took about 5 minutes to replace. Easy, easy, easy!

Doug in NC[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an LTD II once (anybody remember those?) that lost the taillight fuse. That seemed to disengage the cruise control shutoff when you stepped on the brake. There's nothing quite like the feeling when the transmission downshifts and the car tries to accelerate when you step on the brake and the cruise doesn't release! Runaway car!:eek:

Latest posts