Cruise Control, odd workings......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
A few months ago I replaced the cruise control switches, on the steering wheel. The covers were crumbling. As many have.

Recently cruise control was working, very intermitent.

I chose to check the drop out switch on the master cylinder. I used my ohm meter to test continuity, across the terminals. I did this with the harness off. Everytime I let go off the brake pedal I got varible resistance's. Some were normal and some were high, above 2000K & up. The resistance should be not much higher than the ohm meters leads, IMO. It was a couple of times.

So I jumpered the harness. Took it for a drive and all is well. Cruise sets every time.

I thought the switch was to drop the cruise out when you brake? It must be a secondary backup though. Because when I brake the cruise will still drop out. I was suprised to discover that. I also discovered there is no voltage on my harness, unless the motor is running.

So the F150's that caught fire from a constant powered switch. Is not the same wiring setup, on my '04 Trac.

I havent looked at my wiring manual yet. I will be replacing the switch for safety. :driving:

Just a tid-bit of Info.

FYI, my oem switch is the good one that didnt start fires.

Last edited by a moderator:
That switch sets the cruise control to a "stand by" mode. The previously set speed is saved in memory, so it can be resumed (the only way to do this I know). The system is on and can be set to a new speed.

Latest posts