Cruise Control issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Tanner

Reaction score
The cruise on my 2002 trac hasn't worked in 6 months, so I finally broke down and bought a new switch, based on what I've read here. it was inexpensive, so what the heck. after install, nothing... grrrr. For giggles, a took the recall patch harness out of the circuit out and placed the original plug on the switch, and the cruise worked... double grrrr. The recall harness has two fuse holders, each with 2 amp fuses in them. The first fuse was good, but upon taking the rubber cover off to get a the second fuse, the fuse was all disintegrated and corroded inside. I cleaned it up and put in a new fuse, reconnected the wires, and works fine now. Water and/or salt must have gotten in the holder and had at it. Hopefully this helps someone here.

Hey, where can I find the "recall patch harness" so I can check this fuses,.. or how can I tell if the previous owner took this truck in for the CC recall?

There's a sensor switch at the front of the brake master cylinder. If the harness has been replaced by the recall part, it'll look contrived, held in by nylon wire ties, and has two fuse holders in it.

43ba3aeba07eed0795fb52d0861649b0.jpg

Thank you for the Picture!!

I definitely don't have that on my truck. Should i just try doing this myself?

with this...

The description seems to be written by someone unfamiliar with the system (or perhaps that is a part for a different repair). The intended part is not a brake repair kit or speed sensor; it's a fused jumper harness (and potentially a new Speed Control Deactivation Switch).

That may be the correct part, but it seems incomplete as it has no fuse holder (the portion in the pic with the white and orange tag). It has only the part of the jumper harness that connects to the switch (the portion in the pic with the blue tag). (Ideally, if the switch is of sound design and won't leak and cause a short, the fuse wouldn't be necessary, but one cannot predict such things; the fuse is a good back-up should the switch leak.)

First check to see if it's still covered by the recall (05S28). If so, the part and installation are free and takes about 30 minutes.

The part number on mine is 8W7Z-14A411-CA, as is the one in the pic above (not my vehicle), and has two fuses.

d24e83133ba5b406af7268ffcf30a17c.jpg

I found this:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Ford-8W7Z-14A411-C-WIRE-ASY/dp/B001H1IHV0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8" target="_blank">Ford 8W7Z-14A411-C - WIRE ASY</a>

If the switch is bad (see inspection procedure, below), you'll need to replace that, too. I'd do it regardless - easy and inexpensive fire insurance.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Ford-1L1Z-9F924-AA-KIT-BRAKE-REPAIR/dp/B0031CMD5O" target="_blank">Ford 1L1Z-9F924-AA - KIT - BRAKE REPAIR</a>

If you want to do it yourself (wherever you choose to get the part) it is a DIY project. I'd give it a one-beer rating.

Instructions:

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/library/26079/New%20Tech%20Folder/05S28%20Cruise%20Recall%20Tech%20bulletin.pdf" target="_blank">SAFETY RECALL 05S28-S15</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
The TSB only recalls tracs up to '02.

Even though I have an '04 with the correct switch from the factory. Im thinking, it might be a good idea to splice in my own fuse holder. I had thought of it before. Just forgot until this posting. Ford has a bad idea to have this circuit powered all the time. I will try and find a weather tight fuse holder.

I want to keep my trac for along time.

Okay thanks again Yardsale!

I think I'm going to do it myself... but before I order the parts, I need to order both Items you've listed correct?

This ... Ford 1L1Z-9F924-AA - KIT - BRAKE REPAIR and this.... Ford 8W7Z-14A411-C - WIRE ASY?

Ford has a bad idea to have this circuit powered all the time.

Agree!

The only reason I can think of is that they piggybacked on the existing brake light circuit, which is always powered, instead of adding a separate circuit. Probably as a cost saving measure; how'd that work out??

And yes - both parts- the fused jumper harness and the switch. But, I'd call my local Ford dealer and check on the recall. You can still have the beer while waiting for them to do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts