Cracked Radiator . . . Recomendations?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some better all aluminum ones out there. I dont know if one would mod to the trac. You have to buy them through performance shops. They are usually specific for certain cars. Very expensive also.

edit; I droped all of my performance mags or I would have some brands and web sites for you. Iam drawing blanks right now..:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only option that is a direct bolt in is a new replacement....for 02 and up

The factory fan shroud design does not allow more cores or rows to be added to the radiator, making it thicker and better.....

On the 01 ST the radiator and shroud are different, That design would allow a 3 row or even a 4 row radiator to be installed.... I am thinking about that, But my E fan may not allow it..

Todd Z

Rodger, This was the only one that I found and I know it is too late.But Summit had this._Ron

Thank you very much for the information, but as I stated above it is a done deal an picked it up this afternoon around 3 pm.

Now after replacing the battery and the radiator I am going to fix the e-fan to go off when I turn off the engine; therefore eliminating the draining of the battery. The guy at the shop did suggest that if I wanted to keep the current e-fan set-up I needed to use a higher amperage alternator. I chose not to go that route.

Nah. I have a factory rated alternator, and my e-fan draws more amps than yours, and mine has been good for over a year now.

I have the stock Alternator, with the under drive pulley, and my Fan pulls almost 35amps at start up and runs around 20 amps when running....

I have no voltage or amperage problems...

I think the shop was trying to get in your wallet...

I also agree, My fan shuts off when the truck does, The ST does not run hot where you need the cool down..

Todd Z

Jeff & Todd, Your e-fans shut off when the engine does; mine does not. That's what I am going to fix.

Todd, No the shop was not attempting to get into my wallet. He was saying from his experience that if I wanted to keep my e-fan status quo I should consider a higher output alternator so as to not drain the battery while the e-fan is running with the engine off.

Rodger,

as to not drain the battery while the e-fan is running with the engine off.

If the engine is off, the alternator is not charging the battery.....

Then he should have recommended a larger battery....

Todd Z

Why would you want to run the fan without the engine on anyhow? So your fan just runs all night when your trac is parked? Or is there, I'd hope, some switch that you rigged to turn the fan off manually, and you just want to make it so you don't have to remember to hit the switch when you remove the key?

I know I'm missing something here, but neither of my 2 guesses as to what that could be make sense....:huh:

The thermostatically controlled fan motor is now connected to a hot at all times circuit. He is going to change it to an ignition switch controlled circuit.

Kevin,

On race cars, and cars that tend to run hot, there is a thermostat switch that keeps the fan running so it can cool the engine some before shutting the fan off...

Believe it or not, when you shut an engine off it actually gets hotter before it cools down...

The fan being on for 5 min or so after you shut the truck off helps keep it from doing that..

Todd Z

Latest posts