Computer question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Since I got a new laptop, I made my old dell a file server. The internal HD stays spinning but I turned off everything else. My question is,,, I have a 1TB external drive and the access light keeps blinking,, slowly, 95% of the time. If I access it, it blinks rapidly. So when "I" am not accessing it, what is and does this sound normal? I don't know if this has been this way before because I could not see the light, but since I re-arranged things, the ext hd is on the desk right in front of me, so I see the light all the time... ??????? Thoughts??:huh:

figures,,, right now it is stedady for the past 5 minutes...:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any anti virus running on it? Possible defragmenting while idle? Maybe the light always stays on steady showing it is powered up and blinks when it is accessed and spinning?

Could be updating files. Could be your antivirus checking files if you're connected to the internet. Open your task manager and keep an eye on your process tab. I'm willing to bet something is going on there....might just be two processes togling for a split second, but it would be enough to keep your light flashing.

D

found this in about 3 places on other forums,,, so I guess I'll turn the drive around so I can't see the light...

Thanks

""most newer operating systems keep polling removable-media drives for status changes - hence the regularly flashing LED""

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts