cold running

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A week ago I posted a message about my truck running cold (indicated). Coincidentally I was having a rough cold-start. Both problems seem to have cleared themselves up. These Sport Trac's are strange critters.

Both problems seem to have cleared themselves up.

NFL = Not For Long :grin:

Keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the cheapest ways to check the operating temperature of your engine is to pick up a couple of those temperature sensitive test crayons. You simply get crayons in the temperature range your engine and thermostat should be running and mark a few lines on the thermostat housing. When the temperature range of the maker is reached the mark will change color to let you know that temperature has been reached.

If the engine is supposed to operate at 195 degree, a 195 marker crayon will change color when it reaches 195 degrees. If it does not change color after sufficient warm up time, then you have a thermostat that is stuck open, or not the right thermostat.

If you get several markers in the 180, 185, and 190 degree range, you can tell if it's the wrong thermostat, or just stuck, before you have to start unbolting things. Sometimes people install a lower temperature thermostat, or simply remove the thermostat thinking that a cooler running engine is better?

....Rich

...Rich

Also you can get a laser temp sensor cheap. From harbor freight. Point it at any dark surface. Also they come in handy for many things. I have had mine for years and it paid for itself.

Latest posts