cold running

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was a dark and stormy night............no, really it was a cold rainy day. I had to run a few errands. At the first, I left the truck running and I noticed the temp gauge did not move. Eventually, after stopping to check the level in the reservoir, the gauge came up to about 1/3(it usually runs 1/2) the heater seemed to be putting out sufficient heat. Am I looking at a bad gauge or thermostat?

And your question is what?

Your vehicle is not overheating, and seems to be functioning normally but your gauge or sending unit sound like they may be bad.

If your thermostat was bad it would be stuck closed and you would be overheating or if it was stuck open, your engine would be running cold for a long time without much heat from the heater.

So, if everything is operating normally, then I would guess that it's your gauge or temp sending unit.

...Rich

Check your coolant level. That's what my problem was when that happened.... low coolant level.

2001-03 has a gauge sender and ECT sensor on the upper thermostat housing. 2004-05 only has one that controls both.

I agree with Mark and check the coolant level first. No coolant loss? Overflow tube clear? Radiator cap pressure tested?

Last edited by a moderator:
you could have a bad thermostat.. I had it happen where it was giving the same issues you have an turned out the thermostat was stuck open and continued to circulate the warm coolant

Latest posts