Code po441 on 2003 Dodge Ram 5.7l Hemi ( help please )????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, my buddy has a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 2wd. It's popping up the po441 code, searched net for info and found the purge solenoid. Went to dealer and talked with them and they said there's another solenoid under the battery I hooked to the throttle. Effect: the truck stalls and shuts off when you come to a stop too fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking the truck in for inspection on Thursday and the cel light is on, want to fix problem before emmissions test.

The other "solenoid" that they are talking about is the leak detection pump for the evap system. These are a very common failure and I wouldn't be surprised if your friends is bad but with the symptons of stalling when coming to a fast stop I would be more apt to say that the purge solenoid is stuck open and has perhaps filled the evap canistor with fuel which is causing the sudden stall due to the engine going rich all of a sudden at idle.

Thanks L1TECH, that's what I was thinking it was because of the symptoms. Thanks again for the reply and help. I'm still learning about emmissions B.S. everyday. :haveabeer::supercool:

P0441 can either be the purge solenoid or the NVLD, use of a scan tool to watch the NVLD switch state change when 1" of vacumm is applied is the way to test it. Any restrictions in the lines can cause this as well. The stalling may be related to low trans fluid level, causes the torque converter to go into lock up when stopping quickly (trans filter cracks can cause it too).

Thanks for all the info and help guys, I replaced the purge solenoid after work today disconnected the battery and took it out, no stalling at stops and no CEL. :driving::supercool::haveabeer::banana:

Latest posts