Clutch issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have almost 190k on the trac and it has been having issues with the clutch, nit wanting to go in 1st gear after it is stopped and in neutral. Now when I push the clutch there is very little resistance until it almost reaches the floor. Even then it doesn't completely put it in neutral and wont shift well at all. Doesn't make me feel safe enough to even drive it. I'm sure it needs a clutch with so many miles anyway but am wondering if its something else too. Spread ordered a clutch kit which will be here Wednesday but I was wondering if the master and/or slave cylinder needs replacing too while I'm in there anyways.

YOU should / Must also replace the Slave, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing.......

If its funny after that then replace the master But the other stuff is inside the trans and doing it twice is just plain dumb...

Todd Z

Totally agree with Todd. The 1st gen Tracs were based on the Ranger supercab chassis and therefore should use a similar hydraulic clutch setup. I had two Rangers with manual transmissions and both had issues with either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder or both and the slave cylinder is incorporated into the throwout bearing assembly. Both of those trucks exhibited the same symptoms you are describing. As Todd mentioned, if you are planning to replace the clutch anyway now is the time to replace the throwout bearing/slave cylinder assembly as well. You cannot replace those parts without removing the transmission...