Checking Clutch Master Cylinder Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone point out how to check the fluid level or add fluid to the clutch master cylinder? I would like to check this and make sure I really need clutch service before committing to $1200 worth of repairs, when it may be that I just need some fluid in the master cylinder.

IF you lost fluid you have a leak.....

IF you hear a noise or grinding something is wrong..

next to the brake fluid is a smaller resivor.... IT has level lines on it... Remove the cap and look..

Your owners manual also has the instructions on doing this..

Todd Z

Todd Z is correct. If you are losing fluid, you have a leak, and you must replace the unit. But clutch wear can show up as a lower fluid level.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info guys. I figured if there was low fluid level that would be a leak someplace. But, having a leak fixed would be cheaper, no? assuming the main clutch parts are still okay? I'm not sure if the first shop checked the level, and their initial inspection was just visual, before referring me to AAMCO. Or does everything have to be replaced with a fluid leak, as its pretty corrosive stuff?

Our clutch master/slave combo is an interesting piece of work. The slave is within the tranny bell housing. I had a leaking slave that I would refill, and it would hold for a while and then leak a few weeks later. Then it held for a while, and finally gave out. Most of the time your master will outlive your slave big time. Currently my master cylinder is on its 3rd slave.

Replacing parts all depends on you. If your slave is leaking, you should consider the mileage on you current clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing and swap everything in one shot as it will PROBABLY save you money. In order to change the slave, you have to drop the tranny so a mechanic usually recommends swapping the clutch, but again this would depend on mileage and driving habits. Take what the mechanic says with a grain of salt as I had my tranny rebuilt twice under the original warranty and both times the dealer recommended replacing the clutch. The clutch lived well past both rebuilds.

It is unlikely the brake fluid(clutch fluid) got on the clutch as the clutch would be slipping if it did.

With the slave cylinder being located inside of the trans bell housing adn you having 100k+ miles on your truck it would be useless to just replace that and not the entire clutch as well becuase realistically you are only looking at a couple hundred extra for parts as labor is not an issue being that the trans is already out

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts