Cat Converters

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Bezich

Reaction score
Has anyone else run into a problem where 2 catalitic converters need to be replaced. My 2007 was just in for service and my dealer quoted me $1900 for repairs. Seems ridiculous. Any thoughts or anyone run into this issue. Thanks.

It's rare that both cats would need to be replaced unless there was an underlying issue that casued them to go bad in the first place such as running extremely rich for an extended period of time.

I replaced both of mine because the exhaust manifolds were leaking and it overheated the cats(lean condition or something) Not that its pertinate here, but I couldn't afford new cats(that section of the pipe with the two cats is almost $1400). Called Magnaflow and got 2.5", OBDII cats that work just fine and only cost $72 each from Jegs. Had to have the rest of the exhaust replaced, so while it was apart, had those installed. Its what I did, yours is up to you. I really have to agree with Tech above, both don't go bad together. So its either "factory" or aftermarket. Bob

they should be under warranty, part of emmisions, to 100,000 miles, 150,000 if you're in NY or CA..

look in your owner's manual for warranty details... sounds like you need a different dealer...

+1 on I1tech... cats don't go bad unless something else is fubar...

Last edited by a moderator:
8 year/ 80k miles on all OBDII emissions parts, how many miles d you have?

On my 2003 I just past both 8/80 so I was out of warranty, I had a pre-cat in thr driver's side if the y-pipe break apart and clog/ break up the main cat. I ended up getting a Randomn Tech Stainless Steel (pre-cat delete) y-pipe and Stainless Steel High Flow Cat (single, not dual) for less then the oem style pre-catted y-pipe and dual Cat. I bought these from Todd Z. and George from Zabteck

They opened up the air flow and made a nice exhaust sound, plus they won't rust which is a huge plus for me living in the "rust belt".

:banana::haveabeer:

You can get aftermarket cats for a lot less. I paid $120 plus install for one for my daughter's Jeep.

+1 on checking your warranty.

Also I got this http://www.amazon.com/Catalytic-Converter-Cleaner-16-oz/dp/B000AMBO9O or something like it from a mechanic bud of mine to try on the cats of my son's Mustang when they began to stank. It cost about $40 but it was worth the gamble as opposed to buying new cats. It seemed to work, the stank was gone, and it passed emissions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts