Carrying the Sword

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I've never towed anything in my lifetime before...at least not intelligently...but the time seems to have come where I need to take the plunge and hitch a trailer to my ride.

I need to move my currently unregistered 92 lesabre. I know I'll need an add-on hitch, but I was planning on getting one anyhow.

What can you guys who tow everything under the sun tell me about towing a simple sedan?

(Besides, you can't call your ride a truck if it has never towed or carried :)

You could probably get by with using a "tow dolly", you put the front or rear wheels of the lesabre on it and then tow it like a trailer. You may have trouble renting a tow dolly due to the "explorerer" issue with Uhaul, maybe a buddy has one, or get a buddy with something other than an ST or explorer to rent it for you.

How were you planning to tow. Tow Dolly, 4 flat, or trailer.

Towing on a dolly is the easiest. Just drive it up the ramps, tie it down and go. The downfall, you can only drive foreward. No backing up. Yes it is possible, but it is something you avoid.

A trailer is the hardest since you have the added weight of the trailer. I find, with a trailer, it tows best with the vehicle tied down at the wheels so the car has double suspension. (Trailer springs and vehicle springs) The ride is smoother and it feels more controlled. Using the body tie downs is fine too, but the ride is a little more shakey. With a trailer, you can back it up.

4 flat is the option you do not want to take. First off, no plate. Second, you would have to have the vehicle modified to tow that way.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the tow hitch, but I have successfully towed a car (a Ford Contour) 1,000 miles on the bumper hitch with a tow dolly. I wouldn't recommend it now for safety reasons, but if you are only going a few miles, you may be ok if you are slow and careful.

I have no advice for towing your vehicle--but I just have to mention that before I opened the message, based only on the subject line, I was planning to recommend the Bike brand of jock straps. :D

"The downfall, you can only drive foreward. No backing up. Yes it is possible, but it is something you avoid."

Moving from FL to PA a few years ago, got lured off I-95 by the "$29 A Night" motel billboard. Walk into the office, they tell me "$29 rooms are sold out, but we have $89 rooms". "FU" I think, even though I been driving a 28 foot box truck with a Mustang on a tow dolly for about 12 hours, after filling the moving truck earlier that day. I say "No thanks. Does this driveway I'm in go all the way around the building?" I'm told "Yes". (see it coming?) Drive down the length of the motel, left at the end, across the back of the building and...dead end. Somanabeech!

Try for 10 minutes to back up with (now ex) wife giving unintelligible verbal instructions and hand signals. Fail. Get out. Take Mustang off tow dolly, drive it around front. Take tow dolly off truck. Drag it around front. Back truck out, drive out front. Hook tow dolly to truck. Drive Mustang onto tow dolly, and secure. Assess situation: Dirty, soaked with sweat, dead tired, (now ex) wife complaining incessantly thoughout. :angry:

Pay $89 for room. Shower, sleep in back seat of Mustang to avoid killing (now ex) wife.

True story. New wife much better :D

Latest posts