Can you help a girl out?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi All!

I've been on this site for years. I have a 2001 ST with 224,000 miles and I am having a hard time giving her up but she is starting to fail me. I have located an 08 V8 AWD Adrenalin with only 12,000 miles. Wondering if you could all comment on any known issues? Also, the vin is 1FMEU23898UA87971. Can someone run an OASIS report on it? Thanks!!!!

I have a 2009 and the only issue I've had in 80,000 KMs of owning it was a squeaky center bearing on the driveshaft. It was fixed under warranty. The truck has been amazing. We also have a 4.0L 2001 and the 4.6L 2009 gets quite a bit better fuel mileage. I say "go for it".

Can't help you on the report.

Buy it and don't look back - 12K miles means it's a Unicorn. Update all fluids and start down the road. There's nothing magic about this drivetrain; known issues of the 4.6L 3V engine are cam phasers (an annoyance really) and exhaust manifold leaks. Don't worry about it - buy it now. You'll love the STA!

No experience with 2nd gen Tracs, but the only question I think I'd have on an 8 yr old truck with 12,000 miles is, how many owners has it had? "Too many" owners might suggest a lemon that has been passed around.

If you end up with spare unneeded parts for your '01 after you part with it, please let me know. Remember, I'm local!

I've owned both, an '05 and now my '08 and the second generation is so much better that it isn't even funny.

The only issue may be a tranny "bump" but the dealer can re flash the computer if it wasn't done already, and the drive shaft bearing, hub bearings seem to be the "issues" with the gen 2 tracs.

As for MPG, If I drive the 2010 adren I get 12-14MPG. If my wife drives it we can get 18-20. On a nice long road trip we can get 23 or so.

Todd Z

Oh, 12K, buy it. I have an 09 STA. The front wheel bearings are only good for 60K. Hubs 100K. I also needed a drive shaft around 70k. The 4.6 has a new head on one bank due to the rusted exhaust bolt problem at around 80K and they had to replace the radiator due to a leak at the same time. If you are buying from a dealer, get the ford care warranty. You will need it. It is not as durable as my 01 was (which still is on it's original everything except trans and radiator at 140K) but it rides and drives much better.

Tranny Bump, yeah, Mine does that. The 6Speed tranny is orders of magnitude better than the 5Speed auto in the Gen1.

MPG: 11-12 on regular, 13-14 on Premium running a "tow" tune with an X4.

Latest posts